Audience Services Technician
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job TitleAudience Services TechnicianPosition TypeClassified Position Code2CHU12FTE1.0Pay Rate (or Annual Salary)$4,042.25/monthJob LocationChabot College, 25555 Hesperian Blvd., Hayward, CA 94545DepartmentAdministrative ServicesJob Summary
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District is seeking an Audience Services Technician for Chabot College in Hayward, California.
Responsible for the smooth operation of all the front of house areas, including the lobby, ticket office and the audience seating area, during the run of the show. The Audience Services Technician ensures a friendly, welcoming, professional, efficient and accessible service to the public, attending to patron needs and overseeing their safety and well-being before, during, and immediately after events.
This position is grant/categorically funded. Continuation of this position is contingent upon available funding on a year to year basis.Representative Duties
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional duties not listed, but within classification.
1. Complete pre-show safety checklist.
2. Unlock doors and turn on lobby lights prior to events.
3. Check public areas, including restrooms, lobby, theatre seating area, and front of building and take care of any appearance and/or safety problems.
4. Reports maintenance issues of the theatre building.
5. Insure signs or notices relevant to a particular show, are in place.
6. Oversee stuffing and distribution of programs.
7. Makes sure that aisles are clear of people’s feet or their belongings.
8. Ensure that food and drink are not brought into the theatre
9. Resolve customer seating issues.
10. Seat latecomers and patrons returning to their seats during the event, using a flashlight and observing hold policies.
11. Remain in lobby or theatre throughout the event. Be posted in a prominent location at intermission and following events to handle patron inquiries.
12. Supervise audience services staff, including ushers; arrange labor as needed.
13. Coordinate opening of audience seating area, start of event (both at beginning of event and after intermission) and ending event with the Stage Manager.
14. After the event ensure that the house is checked for litter and personal belongings.
15. After events check that the audience has cleared the building, turn off lights in public areas, and lock front doors of building.
16. Complete Audience Services report.
17. Ensure that the building conforms to and exceeds Accessibility and Health & Safety requirements, and is clean and tidy at all times, recognizing opportunities for improvement.
18. Oversee the daily operations of the Box Office, including managing online ticketing, mailings, answering phones, and filling orders.
19. Perform as a ticket sales agent for ticketed events using a computer-based sales system.
20. Ticket taking and ushering on day of show.
21. Organize and distribute “will-call” tickets.
22. Accept cash and give change with accuracy and efficiency.
23. Assist in managing concessions and merchandizing, including making arrangements with clients, handling cash, and tracking expenditures and profits.
24. Support marketing of events, including but not limited to website upkeep and publicity, and the distribution and production of materials.
25. Other duties as assigned.Minimum Education and Experience
Minimum Education & Experience – Any combination of the following would provide a typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities.
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade supplemented by college level course work in theater arts or a related field.
Two years of theatrical experience working ticket sales and front of house duties.Minimum Qualifications
The following generally describes the knowledge and ability required to enter the job and/or be learned within a short period of time in order to successfully perform the assigned duties.
1. Health & Safety and licensing law and regulations with experience of implementing and monitoring safe working practices.
2. Accessibility needs.
3. The arts, learning and leisure industry and an enthusiasm for working in a socially engaged and culturally diverse environment.
4. Thorough knowledge of ticketing software and management systems.
5. Strong interpersonal communication skills.
6. Pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations.
7. Skill in mentoring less experienced staff.
8. Experience in the arts preferred.
1. Supervise volunteer ushers. Explain procedures for emergency situations and seating, holds and explain patron services and policies.
2. Work effectively under pressure and have the flexibility to adapt quickly to changing demands.
3. Handle emergencies as necessary, in conjunction with Stage Manager.
4. Be flexible in relation to duties and working hours which will include evenings and weekends.
5. Exercise initiative, take personal responsibility and resolve issues independently Lead day of show (as needed) and daily ticket office operations, sell tickets through the computerized ticketing system and provide exemplary customer service, preparing the daily cash deposit for the ticket office, reconciling daily sales, updating and troubleshooting the computerized ticketing system.
6. Operate office equipment including computers and supporting word processing, spreadsheet and database applications.
7. Plan and organize work to meet changing priorities and deadlines.
8. Respond tactfully, clearly, concisely, and appropriately to inquiries from the public, district staff, or other agencies on sensitive issues in area of responsibility.
9. Provide excellent customer service skills with a positive, solution focused attitude to work
10. Read, write and communicate effectively with co-workers and the general public.
11. Deal professionally, courteously and tactfully with the public and coworkers.
12. Work with and exhibit sensitivity to and understanding of the varied racial, ethnic, cultural, sexual orientation, academic, socio-economic, and disabled populations of community college students.Desirable Qualifications
1. Two years professional theatrical experience in overseeing front house operations.
2. Experience in use of Excel spreadsheets, Microsoft Word and Outlook.
3. Must be self motivated.
4. Strong interpersonal & leadership skills
40 hours/week, Wednesday-Sunday, 10:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., hours will vary depending on the Performing Arts Center performance/event schedule, 12 months/year.Physical Demands and Working Environment
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Environment: Work is performed primarily in a standard office setting and a performing arts center.
Physical: Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting; to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight; to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard; and to verbally communicate to exchange information.Posting Detail Information Posting NumberAS319POpen Date08/19/2019Close Date09/06/2019Open Until FilledNoSpecial Instructions to ApplicantsNotification to Applicants
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District reserves the right to close or not fill any advertised positionInstructions for Personal Qualifications Statement
The purpose of the personal qualifications statement is for you to provide information on how your education and experience relate to the requirements and duties of the position. There is no form to complete. Applicants are requested to provide their personal qualifications statement by uploading a document, the same way as you do for your cover letter.Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- Personal Qualifications Statement
- Other Document