System Analyst/Database Administrator
Locations:: Binghamton, NY
Posted:: Apr 17, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Ref. No.:: 06059
About Binghamton University:
Binghamton University is a world-class institution that unites more than 130 broadly interdisciplinary educational programs with some of the most vibrant research in the nation. Our unique character - shaped by outstanding academics, facilities and community life - promotes extraordinary student success.
Binghamton merges rigorous academics, distinguished faculty and state-of-the-art facilities to engage and challenge its 17,000 students. The high-achieving Binghamton student body also represents a great diversity of life experiences, from first-generation college-goers to international students. Beyond their talent, these classmates share a desire to shape the future through technology, insight, intellectual exploration and community service.
Budget Title: Lead Programmer/Analyst (SL-3)
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Binghamton University is looking for a Systems Analyst/Database Administrator to join our database administration team which is a part of the Enterprise Systems group. The database administration team identifies and builds solutions that are reliable, scalable and based on proven technologies by vendors such as Oracle, Ellucian, CA Technologies, IBM, Internet 2, Apereo and many others.
You will help design and develop systems based on technical specifications in consultation with our development team and other stakeholders to ensure a smooth implementation.
The Enterprise Systems group is responsible for the systems infrastructure and support of many of our online systems. A successful candidate will help to support the University database environment and our application stacks. Experience with applications used in Higher-Ed like Ellucian Banner, ODS, Workflow, and Oracle software is a plus.
The Systems Analyst/Database Administrator reports to the Assistant Director of Enterprise Systems and will work closely with other key groups and staff within Information Technology Services (ITS).
In addition, the Systems Analyst/Database Administrator will:
- Help define new business processes and system requirement
- Participate in systems implementation projects (i.e. requirements documentation, systems configuration, test documentation and execution, issue identification and resolution)
- Participate in the planning and delivery of new systems and enhancements
- Participate in security audits, and aide in the implementation of best practices to mitigate risk
- Assist in the management of the relational databases and application servers
- Assist in the management of Apache, Tomcat and other 3rd party systems
- Assist in the integration of disparate systems and technologies
- Assist in developing newer technologies such as Grouper and Containers
- Ability to read technical documentation and implement vendor systems
- Must be able to maintain data confidentiality and compliance with regulatory requirements (HIPAA, etc.)
- Bachelor degree in a related field or Associates Degree in related filed that include IT industry certification in relevant technologies
- Strong hands-on skills using SQL and relational database management systems (Oracle, MySQL Server)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, strong analytical skills, and ability to deal with ambiguity in a changing business environment
- Two years of relevant experience in integrating business systems and applications, and the administration of open-source software
- Experience working with diverse operating systems (Linux, Windows)
- Experience working in higher education or a research environment
- Experience in working in a large complex organization
Offers of employment may be contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment background check and verification of degree(s) and credentials.
Binghamton University is a tobacco-free campus.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected]
Payroll information can be found on our website http://www.binghamton.edu/human-resources/payroll/
Cover letters may be addressed "To the Search Committee."
Postings active on the website accept applications until closure.
For information on the Dual Career Program, please visit:
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
The State University of New York is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is the policy of Binghamton University to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or arrest and/or criminal conviction record unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
As required by Title IX and its implementing regulations Binghamton University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in the educational programs and activities which it operates. This requirement extends to employment and admission. Inquiries about sex discrimination may be directed to the University Title IX Coordinator or directly to the Office of Civil Rights (OCR). Contact information for the Title IX Coordinator and OCR, as well as the University's complete Non-Discrimination Notice may be found here.
Deadline for Internal Applicants: 05/01/2019
Deadline for External Applicants: Open until filled
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the vacancy is filled.
Persons interested in this position should apply online.
- Cover letter, and
- Contact information for three professional references
You may add additional files/documents after uploading your resume. After you fill out your contact information, you will be directed to the upload page. Please login to check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents: http://binghamton.interviewexchange.com/login.jsp.