Child Care Specialist (Part Time) - Staff Pool
Assist the classroom teacher in planning, supervising and implementing the classroom program in accordance with policies and philosophy of the school. Assist the teacher in developing weekly lesson plans that involve age-level developmentally appropriate activities and that demonstrate creativity and resourcefulness in planning programs and in the use of materials
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Maintain certification in First Aid training and CPR;
- Assume an equal share of any joint housekeeping responsibilities;
- Attend all scheduled staff meetings;
- Plan and implement staff training as requested;
- Participate in recommended training programs, conferences, courses and other aspects of professional growth; and
- Complete at least 20 clock hours of training each year of employment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. The qualifications listed below are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
High school diploma or GED equivalent and one of the following:
- Child Development Associate credential (CDA); OR
- 12 or more semester credit hours of child development coursework.
Documented proof of one of the following is required:
- 240 clock hours of field experience or co-operative education working with young children (infants, toddlers or preschoolers) in a licensed child care center; OR
- 5 or more practicum/laboratory experiences associated with recent child development coursework; OR
- Prior employment/volunteer experience working with young children in some other informal learning setting, such as in an in-home or center-based after-school, tutoring or summer camp program; OR
- Other childcare involvement resulting from personal parenting or babysitting experience if accompanied by additional semester credit hours of child development coursework.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Must be in excellent health and free of contagious disease;
- Strong interpersonal skills to deal with parents, children, staff, faculty, students and the community;
- Good communication skills;
- Able to relate to and work effectively with staff and young children;
- Able to be flexible and adjust to many varied situations;
- Able to assume full responsibility for a group of children as required;
- Meet all TDHS Standards for child-care professionals;
- Good organizational skills;
- Able to lift up to 60 pounds;
- Able to work any of the 4-hour shifts scheduled (i.e.: 7-11 am; 10am-2pm; 1:30-5:30); and
- Per HCC Policy C.12 Drug and Alcohol Free Workplace, a drug and/or alcohol test is required if a conditional job offer is made.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
This job description may be revised upon development of other duties and changes in responsibilities.
Houston Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity and gender expression, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or veteran’s status. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
David Cross, Director EEO/Compliance, Title IX Coordinator
Office of Institutional Equity
PO Box 667517
Houston TX, 77266
713 718.8271 or [email protected]
HCC values its employees and their contributions, promotes opportunities for their professional growth and development, and provides a positive working and learning environment that encourages diversity, innovation and creativity, and inclusion.
Individuals with disabilities, who require special accommodations to interview, should contact (713) 718-8565.