Job location: San Antonio TAMUSA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-12-19
Job TitleCareer AdvisorAgencyTexas A&M University - San AntonioDepartmentCenter For Experiential Learning & Comm EngagementProposed Minimum SalaryCommensurateJob LocationSan Antonio, TexasJob TypeStaffJob Description
The Career Advisor, under general direction, will provide professional career guidance and services to students and alumni affiliated with Texas A&M University-San Antonio. Services include assisting students in identifying career goals and the development of career interests, development of career related outreach, presentations, and workshops to students and classes, administration and interpretation of career assessments, and the coordination of career events. In addition, the Career Advisor will foster relationships in the greater San Antonio community for the development of employment and internship opportunities. The candidate in this position will provide excellent customer service to employees, students, and the community.
This position typically works Monday –Friday; 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. May work beyond normal office hours to include evenings, weekends, and peak times.
- Serve as primary career advisor for College of Business current undergraduate and graduate students, and alumni. Support all students and alumni affiliated with Texas A&M University-San Antonio during office drop-in hours. Assist students in identifying career goals and the development of career interests. Administer and interpret individual interest, skills, abilities, and values assessment instruments; including, but not limited to FOCUS 2.
- Assist students with professional skills such as resume writing graduate school research and application process, job and internship searches, interview preparation.
- Coordinate college-specific outreach, programming and customized seminars, workshops, and programs based on student needs assessment and faculty requests. Work with and advise faculty and college administration on methods to enhance the quality of career development and to expand departmental participation. Oversee planning of campus career fairs and/or network events in partnership with College of Business.
- Design and facilitate ongoing professional development curriculum to support university student employees.
- Provide information on Mays Center to student and faculty orientations. Conduct classroom presentation on various career service functions or career related topics.
- Create advertising and conducts marketing for career service events; workshops, employer information sessions, career fairs, and on-campus recruitment and advertises use of Career Services Management software and additional support services.
- Maintain and expand Career Services Management software; expand employer awareness of software to increase job postings; expands student awareness of software for job/internship search and overall use.
- Assist other departments as needed with office operations and events; work as a member to a cross-functional team.
- Act as representative to A&M-SA’s professional career center affiliations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be complete list of all tasks and functions. Other duties may be assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in applicable field and three years of related experience.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in higher education, student affairs, counseling or human resources.
- Career Services experience in a higher education institution.
- Must have experience creating professional correspondence pieces; resume writing, cover letter writing, graduate admissions writing, and a strong understanding of modern application methods and job search methods.
- Must have a strong commitment to meeting student needs, providing quality programs and conducting on-going assessment. Ability to organize and process high volume of work under pressure. Must have great attention to detail and accuracy.
- Knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet applications. Knowledge of career coaching and advisement. Knowledge of career assessment software and career and student development theories. Knowledge of job market trends.
- Ability to multi-task and work cooperatively with others. Strong verbal and written communication skills. Strong interpersonal, organizational, and presentation skills.
Please make sure to provide the following documents:
2) Cover Letter to include three professional references
For detailed instructions on how to apply for any positions on our website, please use the following link:
Summary of Employee Benefits
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.