University Information Services (UIS) providestechnical services and enterprise applications to the University of Coloradocampuses and the Office of the President. UIS is committed to excellence incustomer service and technical expertise. Through the development of enterpriseapplications, UIS supports the University as a whole with systems used bystudents, faculty, human resources employees, finance employees, and others.
The SOA Engineer position will be tasked with requirements gathering, design, and development of integrations created leveraging the following technologies: GraphQL, Kafka, Elasticsearch, Oracle Service Bus, and PeopleSoft Internet Broker. These integrations will service-enable the University's enterprise systems, provide a foundation for the development of composite and mash-up applications, and build service-based integrations to campus and departmental applications.
This position reports to the Assistant Director of Advanced Technologies and Enterprise Architecture and is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified Staff system.
Duties and Responsibilities: This position will be expected to perform against the following responsibilities:
50% - System Maintenance:
- Complete program coding, testing, and production implementation.
- Write new or modify existing programs using a variety of computer languages on a variety of operating system platforms.
- Confirm accuracy of software by testing new and modified applications, and by coordinating end user system testing.
- Address end users' system and information needs by analyzing complex processes in order to design interfaces.
- Write technical specifications.
- Create technical documentation.
- Communicate and collaborate with campus liaisons, architectural staff, and project leadership to clarify requirements, resolve issues, lead technical solutions, and provide support on interface projects.
- Collaborate with project leadership to develop project plans and schedule, determine project staffing, provide status reporting, and ensure coordination and integration with other facets of the implementation effort.
- Knowledge of business systems analysis processes.
- Knowledge of IT practices and coding solutions.
- Strong problem solving skills and effective communication, along with the ability to work independently, as well as part of a cross-functional team.
- Ability to grow technical skills to improve internal systems and processes.
- Ability to interact positively, clearly, and professionally with customers, peers and upper management.
- Ability to conceive and portray the big data picture.
- Ability to adhere to project deadlines, and willingness to be 100% hands-on to deliver on-time.
- Ability to analyze and identify business process and system issues to quickly identify solutions.
- Skilled in using the scientific method and structured testing methodologies in the analysis of problems and the vetting of possible solutions.
- Ability to directly liaise with the Business Analyst, Developers, Architect, and Campus Customers on all data integration development activities.
- Functional and Technical documentation skills which address the needs of the customer, including ability to write detailed test plans from requirements.
Who we are:
System Administration, which also houses theOffice of the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver withan office in Broomfield and a few smaller offices located on the campuses.However, this position is located in Denver. Many of our departmentssupport the educational and research missions of the four University ofColorado campuses. We provide diverse opportunities for professional development,innovation, and collaboration with talented staff and faculty.
The University of Colorado is committed to recruiting andsupporting diversity and equality in education and employment. The universitystrives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication andunderstanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, personswith disabilities and all veterans.
The salary range for this position is $90,000 - $97,500.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical: Multiple plan options
- Dental: Multiple plan options
- Additional Insurance: Disability, Life, Vision and Wellness
- Retirement 401(a) Plan: Employer contributes 10% of your gross pay
- Paid Time Off: Accruals over the year
- Vacation Days: 22
- Sick Days: 15
- Holiday Days: 10
- Tuition Benefit: System employees have the benefit on all campuses
- ECO Pass: RTD Bus and light rail service
- Additional Perks & Programs: Click here to access a few more perks and programs.
Click here to access our Total Compensation Calculator to see what your total rewards could be at CU. This position is a University Staff position.
For more information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education or equivalent professional work experience. (The educational requirement may be substituted by professional experience on a year for year basis).
- Four (4) years working in Enterprise IT, which must include:
- Experience in analyzing and identifying business process and system issues to quickly identify solutions.
- Use of the scientific method and structured testing methodologies in the analysis of problems and the vetting of possible solutions
- Functional and Technical documentation skills which address the needs of the customer, including ability to write detailed test plans from requirements
- Three (3) years’ hands-on experience using data exchange formats such as XML or JSON.
- Two (2) years experience in hands-on development of SOAP and/or REST Web Services.
- Experience building integrations leveraging open standards.
- Experience using one or more of the following variants of the XML markup language: XSLT, XML Schema, XPath, XQuery.
- Hands-on experience with containerization solutions, such as Docker.
- Hands-on experience with Elasticsearch search engine and GraphQL API query language.
- Hands-on experience with Kafka for messaging and distributed streaming.
- Experience with multiple programming languages, including Java.
- Prior experience in SQL and development of complex, performant queries in Oracle databases.
- Experience with continuous integration and continuous deployment tools and workflows. Experience with Jenkins or GitLab is a plus.
- Prior experience in a Business Analyst role.
- Strong object modeling/software design skills.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Denver
Posting Date: Aug 14, 2019
Unposting Date: Ongoing