Prep Cook Grab-N-Go*
Prep Cook Grab-N-Go*
Aug 20, 2019
Amherst College invites applications for the Prep Cook Grab-N-Go position. The Prep Cook Grab-N-Go is a full time, 42 week per year position, job group and level AO-1. The Prep Cook supports the efforts of Amherst College Dining Services in providing the campus community with excellent service through quality production of our menus and assisting the culinary team with the production and implementation of menu items. The Prep Cook takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College’s efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
The work schedule varies and corresponds to the College’s operational needs, but generally is 7:00 am to 3:30 pm. As our work is central to student life, their needs occur at a variety of times throughout the day, week, and year and in such, a flexible schedule with extended shift times is required. The Prep Cook may be asked to work in other areas of the operation based on business demand. In addition, the position is designated as providing essential services and should report to work, or remain on duty even though the College is closed.
Summary of Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Preparation - Prepare menus items to established standards, adhering to standardized recipes and production methods, maintain operational standards and Health Department regulations, maintaining all areas in an orderly, clean, and sanitary manner, produce and organize food items prior to need with clear and concise labeling in effort to manage the rotation of goods to ensure highest quality, maintain production records effectively, ensure equipment used is in sound, working order and tools used are properly cared for and stored, ensure operational organization at the start, during and completion of shift.
- Inventory - Assist with the inventory of storage and supply areas, inspect deliveries for quality and accuracy and communicate deficiencies, communicate product needs through appropriate channels, work effectively to reduce waste and loss of supply and goods, maintain effective production records
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Servsafe Certification or be able to achieve within six months of employment
- 1+ year of food preparation experience
- Strong verbal and written communication, customer service, organizational and time management skills
- Ability to taste and work with any and all ingredients used
- Ability to mathematically reduce and expand measurements required by recipe
- Attention to detail
- Work flexible hours based upon departmental needs including extended shifts
- Commitment to or experience working with a diverse community
- Successful completion of a pre-employment physical and lift test
- Prior foodservice production preferred
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (email and/or telephone numbers) for three professional references. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
ABOUT AMHERST COLLEGE
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college’s community is composed of about 1,800 students from 48 states, plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college’s scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum, Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst the perfect place to work, learn and live!