IT Systems Administrator
The University of Colorado Colorado Springs(UCCS) isone of four campuses in the University of Colorado system and is home to over12,400 undergraduate and 1,800 graduate students. UCCS is among the fastestgrowing universities in the state and is consistently ranked as one of the topWestern regional universities by U.S. News & World Report. ColoradoSprings, (pop. 400K+) is situated at the base of Pikes Peak, offers manyrecreational and cultural activities and was recently ranked by U.S. News andWorld Report as one of the top Best Places to Live in the U.S.http://www.choosecoloradosprings.com/
*** We are hiring two positions with this posting: one for Windows environment and one for Linux environment, the appropriate applicant for each position will be decided by the hiring manager.
Who We Are:
The Office of Information Technology Department manages servers, networks and labs as well as hosting virtual environments and applications for the campus.
OIT also operates in a support role for every department andschool on the University of Colorado Colorado Springs Campus. Offering servicesfrom Help Desk to classroom AV support, web development to IT security andcompliance.
Nature of Work
This position primarilysupports the Windows and Linux server/workstation environment. This position is responsible for monitoring ofsystems and applications, assisting with clientworkstation issues, maintaining system and account integrity, andsupporting senior system administrators with tasks related to systemperformance, network issues, and system configuration.
Examples of WorkPerformed
- Testing Windowsenvironments for configuration issues with Group Policy
- Modifying rightsand permissions on objects within a Windows environment
- Configuring Windowsservers and workstations
- Assist withconfiguration and integration of other technology into an AD domain environment
- Assist withadministration of Red Hat and CentOS servers on VMware, bare metal, andcontainers
- Assist withadministration of VMware vSphere clusters and ESXi hosts
- Perform Maintenanceand troubleshooting on existing Linux and VMware install base.
- Perform and assistwith software installs using automation tools.
- Write Ansibleplaybooks and bash scripts for system maintenance
- Supporting seniorsystem administrators with security configuration and security incidents
- Perform basic securityauditing of system architecture
- Proactive monitorsystems for performance issues using native and third party tools
- Monitoring ticketingsystem for escalations
- Provide second andthird level support for ticket escalations from the IT HelpDesk
- Escalate supporttickets when necessary and seek guidance from senior administrators/staff
Knowledge, Skills,and Abilities
- Knowledge of installation and configuration of Windows Server systems
- Knowledge ofinstallation and configuration of Windows desktop environment
- Knowledge of configuration of Windows Active Directory
- Knowledge of GroupPolicies Objects and their configurations within a Windows environment
- Knowledge of otherWindows technologies such as DNS, DHCP, SCCM, MDT, WSUS
- Knowledgeof network troubleshooting
- Linux systemadministration using RHEL or CentOS. Includes installation methods,firewall, networking, disk management, and security.
- Strong desire to automateusing industry standard tools
- VMware vSphere 5.x-6.xmanagement experience
- Strong passion forLinux and VMware as a solution to problems
- Solid problem-solvingskills using Linux based systems
- Knowledge of operating system and security configuration principlesincluding system backup and recovery, testing procedures, change control andconfiguration management, and rights and permissions configuration.
- Must be able to workin a team environment, have good communication skills, and be able to followchange control procedures.
- Knowledge ofbasic project management and ability to keep tasks on track.
The University of Colorado, ColoradoSprings offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, islocated at http://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado iscommitted to providing a safe and productive learning, living and workingcommunity. To assist in achieving this goal, we conduct backgroundinvestigations for all prospective applicants being considered for employment.Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and whenappropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history check.
- Bachelor’sDegree in discipline appropriate to position (or year for year work experience equivalent).
- Knowledge of Hyper-V management and configuration
- Network+, Security+, or Microsoft Certification
- Experience with GIT
- Experience with orworking knowledge of Ansible, Chef, Salt, or Puppet. You will be using Ansiblefor this position.
- Experience with orworking knowledge of Zabbix or other monitoring tools, Nagios, Grafana, Icinga, PRTG
- Red Hat CertifiedSystem Administrator RHCSA certification using RHEL 6 or 7
- Basic understandingof SELinux
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Colorado Springs
Posting Date: Aug 15, 2019
Unposting Date: Ongoing