Research Systems Administrator
Posting DetailsPosition Information Position Number998567Functional TitleResearch Systems AdministratorPosition TypeStaffPosition EclassEP - EHRA 12 mo leave earningUniversity Information
UNC Greensboro, located in the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina, is 1 of only 57 doctoral institutions recognized by the Carnegie Foundation for both higher research activity and community engagement. Founded in 1891 and one of the original three UNC System institutions, UNC Greensboro is one of the most diverse universities in the state with 20,000+ students, and 3,000+ faculty and staff members representing 90+ nationalities. With 17 Division I athletic teams, 85 undergraduate degrees in over 125 areas of study, as well as 74 master’s and 32 doctoral programs, UNC Greensboro is consistently recognized nationally among the top universities for academic excellence and value, with noted strengths in health and wellness, visual and performing arts, nursing, education, and more. For additional information, please visit uncg.edu and follow UNCG on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.Primary Purpose of the Organizational Unit
To deliver high speed, resilient, and secure network services to support the greater mission of the University by enhancing the educational experience through technology.Position Summary
The ideal candidate for this position will be able to:
- Administer, deploy, maintain, and support CyberInfrastructure computing resources and service offerings
- Develop and maintain standards, procedures and documentation for all systems and infrastructure.
- Assist in the planning and development of new technology to improve performance and availability of research computing resources.
- Assess research needs and identify solutions in the area of research computing.
- Work closely with University researchers to provide support and act as a subject matter expert for research computing.
- Support and execute incident, problem and change management processes according to established policies and procedures.
- Solve complex problem situations and participate in the identification of opportunities for improvement to processes, procedures, or tools.
- Develop and document best practices and procedures for installing and maintaining systems
- Demonstrate the ability to apply research computing principles to technical solutions in support of University research.
Entry level with Masters in a technical major, such as engineering or computer science or research experience;
Bachelors and 0-2 yrs experience;
Or equivalent education/experience.
2+ years relevant experience working with High Performance Computing systems
Experience with Linux server administration
Programming experience, Python preferred
Experience working on graduate-level or higher research projects
Hands on experience with HPC job scheduling technologies (SLURM)
Demonstrated experience with foundational network technologies, ideally in a Science DMZ environment.
Understanding of authentication and federation concepts.
Experience using source control and the GitHub platform
Maintain, develop, document, and monitor procedures and policies.
Maintain and create training material for University researchers.
Experience with jupyter notebooks, LaTex, and Kubernetes.
Applicants have the option to provide the names, email addresses, and phone numbers of up to four (4) contacts to provide Letters of Recommendation, in the References section of the electronic application. These contacts will be solicited by the SpartanTalent system via email, and asked to provide a confidential Letter of Recommendation on behalf of the applicant. This will occur after the applicant has successfully submitted his/her application.
Applicants are required to upload the following documents with their electronic application:
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Applicants are required to upload a list of references of at least three (3) professional references that includes:
- Company Name
- Type of reference (Professional, Supervisor, Colleague, Academic or Personal). One (1) of those references will need to be a current or previous supervisor.
- Email Address
- Contact Phone Number
Applications are not successfully submitted until an online confirmation number has been received at the end of the application process.Recruitment RangeSalary commensurate with experienceOrg #-DepartmentInformation Technology Services - 23101Job Open Date07/29/2019For Best Consideration Date08/05/2019Job Close DateOpen Until FilledYesFTE1.000Type of AppointmentPermanentIf time-limited, please specify end date for appointment.Number of Months per Year12FLSAExemptKey Responsibilities Key Responsibilities Percentage Of Time40%Key Responsibility
Systems AdministrationEssential Tasks
Build and administer computing systems that are part of the ITS managed CyberInfrastructure program, including:
- JupyterHub Kubernetes cluster
- Data Transfer Nodes (DTNs)
- Linux-based general computing systems
- Cloud-based research computing infrastructure
Provide primary systems support for research computing infrastructure located at UNCG and facilitation of HPC resources at partner institutions.Key Responsibilities Percentage Of Time40%Key Responsibility
Research Computing SupportEssential Tasks
Understand, assist and support execution of research computing tasks located executed on ITS managed research systems and partner institution HPS systems.
Provide service management for Globus high-speed data transfer infrastructure and application.
Write technical documentation for usage of University research computing resources.
Support of the GCRNet research project.
Develop new research computing service offerings.Key Responsibilities Percentage Of Time20%Key Responsibility
Researcher EngagementEssential Tasks
Develop and provide training resources to support University researcher use of CyberInfrastructure resources.
Assist researchers in utilization of University and partner institutions CyberInfrastructure resources.
Conduct regular needs assessment of researcher computing infrastructure needs, summarize, and integrate into new and existing service offerings.ADA Checklist ADA Checklist
R for Rare (0-30%), O for Occasional (30-60%), F for Frequent (60-90%), C for Constant (90-100%).Physical EffortHand Movement-Repetitive Motions - F, Reading - F, Writing - F, Hearing - F, Talking - F, Sitting - FWork EnvironmentInside - CApplicant DocumentsRequired Documents
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Reference Letter 3
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Greensboro News & Record
- Other Newspaper
- UNC System Job Board
- Other Online Job Board
- Personal Networking
- Raleigh News & Observer
- If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship?