Administrative Support Specialist
Posting DetailsPosting Details Requisition NumberS1877Position Number998652Position Classification TitleAdminstrative Support SpecFunctional TitleAdministrative Support SpecialistPosition TypeStaffUniversity Information
UNC Greensboro, located in the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina, is 1 of only 57 doctoral institutions recognized by the Carnegie Foundation for both higher research activity and community engagement. Founded in 1891 and one of the original three UNC System institutions, UNC Greensboro is one of the most diverse universities in the state with 20,000+ students, and 3,000+ faculty and staff members representing 90+ nationalities. With 17 Division I athletic teams, 85 undergraduate degrees in over 125 areas of study, as well as 74 master’s and 32 doctoral programs, UNC Greensboro is consistently recognized nationally among the top universities for academic excellence and value, with noted strengths in health and wellness, visual and performing arts, nursing, education, and more. For additional information, please visit uncg.edu and follow UNCG on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.Primary Purpose of the Organizational Unit
The Bryan School Dean’s Office provides overall business and personnel management to six academic departments, programs, and supporting offices.
The Bryan School creates and disseminates knowledge about the theory and practice of business. In addition to our courses and research, we accomplish this through hands-on projects, global experiences, and outreach to the community. Our work produces principled leaders and exceptional problem solvers who have a global perspective, an innovative mindset, a broad understanding of sustainability, and a commitment to improve the organizations in which they work and the communities in which they live.Position Summary
The primary purpose of this position is to provide operational support to the Business Officer and the Bryan School. Position’s primary tasks pertain to routine operations related to financial and personnel management.Minimum Qualifications
HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR EQUIVALENCY AND ONE YEAR OF RELATED OFFICE EXPERIENCE; OR EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE.Additional Required Certifications, Licensures, and CertificatesPreferred Qualifications
The following education and experience will be considered favorably:
- Bachelor’s Degree OR an Associate Degree with equivalent years of related, professional experience
- Experience with computer applications including Banner, Excel, QuickBooks, and Adobe Acrobat.
- Prior financial experience within higher education or other North Carolina state institutions.
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.Special Instructions to Applicants
For consideration, applicants are asked to upload:
- Cover letter, not to exceed one page, detailing personal qualifications as they relate to the position description.
- List of references
Regarding references, applicants are required to upload a list of at least three (3) professional references that includes:
- Company Name,
- Type of reference (Professional, Supervisor, Colleague, Academic, or Personal). One (1) of those references will need to be a current or previous supervisor.
- Email Address
- Contact Phone Number
Fund maintenance and reconciliationEssential Tasks
- Process incoming expense documentation, consulting with Business Officer for direction on funding source and class.
- Maintain financial records electronically for ease of use and retrieval. Scan documents, save to Box, and post expenses in QuickBooks.
- Validate balances for account lines and funds on a weekly basis. Work shall be performed with careful attention to detail and high level of accuracy.
- Reconcile Pcard on a bi-weekly basis, ensuring prescribed university deadlines are met.
- Update financial spreadsheets, as assigned.
- Aid Business Officer in compiling financial data, as requested.
Facilitate expenditures including purchasing, reimbursement, and personnelEssential Tasks
- Aid Business Officer in initiating purchases on behalf of the Bryan School. This includes utilizing eMarketplace (for routine orders and Purchase Orders). Help supervisor in obtaining necessary documentation and coordinating with vendors.
- Use Pcard in compliance with university policy, only engaging in allowable uses.
- Process requests for reimbursement or payment using the appropriate university forms (Banfins, TRV-1, etc.)
- Process EPAFs/PD7 as directed by University Program Manager.
- All processes shall be completed in a timely and accurate manner.
Leave Management and Time EntryEssential Tasks
- Communicate with leave-earning employees about deadline for time sheets or leave reports.
- Perform time entry on a monthly basis for all employees with in Org (including EX, NE, and HR). Duties should be performed by the prescribed deadlines with a high-level of accuracy.
- Reconcile time entry against ePrints.
- Serve as a resource for Bryan employees on how to complete time sheets in compliance with university rules.
General Program SupportEssential Tasks
- Perform monthly copy meter readings.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of the area of specialization, the program, process, and/or organizational operation. May be the content/process resource.Competency LevelJourney Competency CompetencyOffice TechnologyCompetency Description
Selects, understands and fully applies a variety of features in software programs, databases, information systems, and specialized equipment.Competency LevelJourney Competency CompetencyProblem SolvingCompetency Description
Recognizes, defines and resolves non-standard problems using operating procedures, research, practices and established precedents. Resolves recurring issues and problems as well as some unique situations. Anticipates problems and develops recommendations for managementCompetency LevelJourney Competency CompetencyCommunication- VerbalCompetency Description
Presents ideas in a clear, concise, organized manner. Explains and interprets programs, policies and procedures to meet the specific needs of staff and clients. Advises program staff/clients in all matters related to program operations.Competency LevelJourney Competency CompetencyCommunication- WrittenCompetency Description
Composes and organizes ideas logically, works in multiple formats such as letters, memos, reports or presentations, and can change/adjust style to meet the needs of the program and audience. Reviews sensitive materials and edits content constructively.Competency LevelJourney Competency CompetencyBudgetingCompetency Description
Exercises responsibility for administering the budget, which includes making recommendations regarding the use and distribution of funds within the department.Competency LevelJourney Competency CompetencyInformation/Records AdministrationCompetency Description
Coordinates varied records processing activities requiring the application and some interpretation of agency procedures, policies, laws, and regulations. Reviews information for completeness and accuracy using multiple guidelines.Competency LevelJourneyADA Checklist ADA Checklist
"R" for Rare (0-30%), "O" for Occasional (30-60%), "F" for Frequent (60-90%), "C" for Constant (90-100%)Physical EffortHand Movement-Repetitive Motions - C, Finger Dexterity - F, Reading - F, Writing - F, Vision-Preparing/Analyzing figures - C, Hearing - F, Talking - F, Sitting - FWork EnvironmentInside - CApplicant DocumentsRequired Documents
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Which of the following options best describes your higher education history?
- No Response
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in a directly related field
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in an unrelated field
- Associate's Degree in a directly related field
- Associate's Degree in an unrelated field
- 3 years
- 2 years
- 1 year
- less than 1 year
- High School Diploma or GED
- * How many years of experience in a directly related field do you have?
- No Response
- 6 or more years
- 5 years
- 4 years
- 3 years
- 2 years
- 1 year
- 4 months
- less than 4 months
- * Do you have experience with BANNER Finance?
- * Do you have experience working with higher education institutions or other state or federal governmental agencies?
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- SpartanTalent Website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC School System Job Board
- Personal Networking
- If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)