Assistant Director of Student Excellence and Development
Job location: University Campus
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-08-15
Job Description SummaryThe Assistant Director of Student Excellence and Development will be responsible for the development and implementation of all First Year Experience (FYE) courses for campus based students and academic support courses and resources for both campus and Worldwide students. The Assistant Director will also provide leadership to enhance student college readiness and support the Peer-Assisted Learning coaches. PAL coaches will assist in the academic support courses and in the Center for Academic Vision & Excellence.Job Description
Duties and Tasks
- Manage, market, staff, schedule, training and evaluate 40-50 Faculty for all FYE courses, Academic Support courses, and for PAL Coaches
- Serve as the subject matter expert in the curriculum development of FYE and academic support courses
- Collaborate with Faculty and other university stakeholders to develop course outcomes and curriculum
- Perform formative and summative assessments to determine the effectiveness of all created outcomes for FYE and academic support courses
- Embed Reading, Writing and Math Across the Curriculum into Academic Support courses
- Create in-person and online academic support workshops that demonstrate components of FYE and Academic Support courses for campus and Worldwide students
- Serve as a component of the Student Success case management model to ensure academic success and personal development for students in FYE and Academic Support courses
- Collaborate with the Learning Design team to create online course content
- Collaborate with the Center for Teaching Excellence to ensure faculty training and support are in line with best practices
- Input data into university systems to support student success such as Salesforce, Accudemia or other systems that enhance student performance and persistence.
- Assess the effectiveness of all FYE and academic support courses through student evaluations and other assessments
- Further develop the PAL coaching program
- Certify the PAL coaching program under the College Reading & Learning Association’s International Mentor Training Program Certification program.
- Lead committees related to FYE and Academic Support courses and serve on committees that align with these efforts
- A Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution with at least 3 years of higher education teaching or academic affairs experience
- Knowledge of best practices within higher education related to assigned functions
- Experience creating curriculum that includes writing, reading and math across the curriculum in higher education
- Understanding of higher education case management models
- Experience implementing and/or maintaining online learning initiatives
- Experience working with at-risk students
- Experience supervising full-time staff or student employees in higher education
- Advanced interpersonal, written and presentation skills.
- Ability to create comprehensive programs and analyze data to improve initiatives.
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Ability to work with diverse student populations.
- Ability to create and analyze data to improve programs and initiatives.
- Ability to collaborate with university constituents.
- Able to perform effectively with minimal supervision.
The work environment characteristics described here are a representation of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office and University, handle various type of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Saint Leo University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success.