Landscape Technician 1
DepartmentGeneral Description:In the Facilities Management department, we take pride in our buildings and grounds and provide a welcoming, service-oriented, clean and safe environment for our students, faculty and staff. Entry level of the Landscape Technician series, under direct supervision performs standard landscape duties. Typical Duties: The following illustrative tasks indicate the level of skill required, and the extent of responsibility involved in this job. They in no way limit the incumbent to the tasks indicated.
Flexibility of the employee to perform a wide variety of functions is necessary in successfully fulfilling the requirements of this position. The degree to which each employee performs each of the following tasks listed below will vary according to where and when the employee is scheduled to work.
- trims, cuts and waters grass and flowers, rakes leaves, lay sod; plants flowers, shrubs and trees; maintains soft landscaping by aerating, weeding, cultivating, fertilizing, etc.;
- drives and operates a variety of light duty landscape and snow removal vehicles and equipment such as equipment used in tree maintenance, turf care, chainsaws, sod cutters, riding vacuums, snow maintenance vehicles, tractors (front and back end loaders) and skid steers;
- sets up vehicles and equipment for use, and performs simple adjustments
- loads and unloads equipment onto vehicles;
- works on campus cleaning details using appropriate vehicles and equipment;including the removal of graffiti posters and abandoned or illegally locked bicycles;
- works on campus snow and ice removal details using appropriate vehicles and equipment;
- works on campus moving details using appropriate vehicles and equipment;
- maintain landscape irrigation and other landscape related systems; and
- provides instruction of Service Worker - Grounds staff in performing assigned tasks;
- other related duties as required.
CampusMinimum Requirements: Education: Completion of grade 12 or equivalent combination of education and experience. Completion of some related landscape courses an asset.
Experience: Three years of related experience.
Other: Possession of Provincial Class "G. driver's license, physical ability to perform required duties, demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in English (verbal and written), ability to work under all weather conditions and may be required to work long and various hours.
Department: UTSC: Grounds
Job Field: Landscape / Grounds
Job Posting: Nov 4, 2019
Job Closing: Nov 13, 2019, 8:59:00 PM