Office Assistant 1 (Stores/Mail)
Brief Description of Duties: Perform entry-level clerical and office support work, including processing transactions and maintaining records in a variety of organizational settings. Incumbents in the Office Assistant 1 (Stores/Mail) positions spend most of their work time performing activities related to mail receipt, mail distribution, storage, and stores keeping, primarily as described in the Stores & Mail and Inventory sections of the illustrative duties listed below.
General Office Support:
- Answer questions from and provide information to various parties regarding agency activities, transactions, and procedures. Refer inquiries as necessary.
- Operate various communication systems such as telephones and computers; and keep records of such communications.
- Operate, and perform basic cleaning and maintenance on, office machines and equipment. Clear paper jams in copiers, scanners and printers; replace toner cartridges; and clean keyboards and screens.
- Schedule appointments and meetings using various office tools.
- Perform routine processing activities, including checking forms for completeness and accuracy.
- Maintain basic financial, accounting, and/or statistical records.
- Perform calculations and computations, primarily on computers and calculators, using known and standard formulas and methods.
- As needed and as directed, contact various internal and external parties to obtain information.
- Prepare, process, review, and record numerical transactions and records. This activity may include: processing bills and vouchers; reviewing or auditing calculations or statistics; or disbursing or receiving items of value such as cash or vouchers, including, for example, such tasks as calculating and collecting fees.
- Type, proofread, review, and correct correspondence, documents, records, and other written material.
- Transcribe hand-written materials.
- Make appropriate corrections for format, accuracy, and validity.
- Assist in gathering or compiling data for reports, graphs, charts, tables, or other products.
- Create graphs, charts, or other visual aids to display data.
- May also prepare routine reports or assist others in the preparation of reports, following established guidelines.
- Maintain, update, and correct records and files.
- Receive, screen, review, and verify documents, forms, applications, claims, and other documents for completeness, content, and accuracy.
- Establish new files by coding and numbering forms, creating folders, and compiling relevant material.
- Receive, pick up, deliver, open, appropriately record, time stamp, sort, and distribute mail, e-mail, or other forms of correspondence or communication, or goods, materials, or stores.
- Maintain files, correspondence, documents, records, materials, and stores pursuant to guidelines.
- Maintain various listings for mail service purposes.
- Process outgoing mail by inserting letters into envelops, sealing envelopes, and applying correct postage.
- May operate a motor vehicle to pick up and deliver mail.
- Receive, unload, unpack, sort, store, count, and distribute goods received, following established procedures.
- Advise supervisor upon receipt of damaged goods or incomplete or incorrect shipments.
- Issue and may deliver goods from stock according to procedure.
- May package goods for shipment.
- Take periodic physical inventory and maintain perpetual inventory records.
- Keep shelves and stock clean, neat, and in proper place.
- Enter data and information into and retrieve data and information from computerized systems.
- Verify data previously transcribed or entered to detect errors.
- Perform various clerical or office assistance tasks such as scanning documents, and verifying accuracy of data from scanned documents.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Essential Position: This has been designated as an essential position based on the duties of the job and the functions performed. Positions that are designated as such are required to report to work/remain at work even if classes are cancelled, and the campus is working on limited operations in an emergency.
***Out-of-State Applicants: Please note as a condition of employment and in order for this position to be tendered, the successful incumbent will be required to provide evidence of a valid license and driving abstract from the state issuing the license within five business days of a conditional offer and must obtain a NYS driver's license within 30 days of acceptance of offer.
Stony Brook University has been tobacco free since January 1, 2016. See our policy and learn more at stonybrook.edu/tobaccofree.
About Stony Brook: Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff.
SBU is a comprehensive research-intensive university and a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU), which includes 34 public universities among its 62 members. SBU consists of 12 schools and colleges and a teaching hospital that provides state-of-the-art healthcare in the Long Island region. SBU also manages and performs joint research with Brookhaven National Laboratory, the only Department of Energy Laboratory in the Northeast, and shares doctoral programs with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a world-renowned molecular biology institute. Home to the Emerson String Quartet, the Jackson Pollock-Krasner House in East Hampton, New York, Humanities Institute, and the Southampton Arts Program, and with endeavors that extend to the Turkana Basin Institute in Kenya and the Ranomafana National Park in Madagascar, SBU sustains an international reputation that cuts across the arts, humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
If you need a disability related accommodation, please call the University Human Resource Services Department at (631) 632-6161 or the University Hospital Human Resources Department at (631) 444-4700. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (631) 632-6350. It can also be viewed online at the University Police website at http://www.stonybrook.edu/police.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected]
Visit our WHY WORK HERE page to learn about the total rewards we offer.
Job Field: Civil Service Positions
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Shift: Day Shift
Posting Start Date: Aug 16, 2019
Posting End Date: Aug 30, 2019, 11:59:00 PM