Program Assistant, Transfer Center
Position DescriptionUnder general supervision, performs one or more of the following major functions in a program for a special needs student population: intake interviewing; coordination of referrals to other on- and off-campus services; coordination of tutorial services; community outreach and recruitment. May direct the work of student assistants, peer tutors, or other employees. May be assigned to collect, compile, classify, and report a variety of program data.ResponsibilitiesThis classification may be used in a variety of programs for special student populations. Program Assistants perform a combination of the following duties:
- Conducts intake interviews, determines need for services and/or program eligibility; interprets test results; makes referrals to other on- and off-campus programs and services.
- Provides a variety of general guidance to assist students in meeting educational goals; presents workshops; assists in student orientation; explains program policies and procedures.
- Coordinates tutorial services by recruiting, training, directing, and evaluating student peer tutors.
- Establishes relationships with high school and community agency personnel for program recruitment purposes; coordinates the development and preparation of promotional materials.
- Compiles, analyzes, processes, reports, and interprets a variety of student data; prepares a variety of narrative and statistical reports based on student data; assists in preparing grant proposals to establish funding base; maintains current files and records.
- Assists in development or program goals, activities, and budget; may monitor budget.
- Maintains resource library.
- May provide clerical assistance when needed.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Clear evidence of sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
- Knowledge of the objectives and methodologies of programs designed to assist educationally and economically disadvantaged persons.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing, establish cooperative working relationships with staff, administrators, faculty, students, and others contacted in the course of performing assigned duties; ability to advise students regarding educational goals and to provide tutorial support.
- Ability to train and direct the work of other employees, student assistants, and peer tutors.
- Ability to keep accurate records and prepare statistical and narrative reports.
- Any combination of education, training, and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. An example of this would be an associate degree with coursework or experience in social services, and an understanding of the needs and characteristics of educationally and economically disadvantaged student populations.
- Local travel may be required for recruitment and community relations activities.
- Working hours: Monday, 10am - 7pm; Tuesday - Friday, 7:30am - 4:30pm. Hours may vary according to assignment?.
Chaffey College recently implemented an online electronic application system. Our new application can be accessed at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/chaffey. The application must be completely filled out in detail and clearly show that you meet the qualifications as set forth in the announcement, and you must upload the following documents:
Please do not include any additional documents? only the documents that are indicated below. If you upload documents that are not required, your application may be disqualified.
- Cover Letter
- Copy of college level transcripts (if you are using your education to meet the qualifications) (photocopies or computer printouts are acceptable. Copies of diplomas/degrees are NOT acceptable in lieu of transcripts)
This is a full-time, 12-month, classified bargaining unit position. Starting date: as soon as possible. Range 13 of the CSEA Salary Schedule, with a starting salary of Step A, $3,648. Excellent benefit package.