Assistant/Associate Professor and Director of Athletic Bands
Job DetailsPosition Information Posting Number18190047FACJob TitleAssistant/Associate Professor and Director of Athletic BandsType of EmploymentRegular Full-TimeIf Part Time, Enter Hours Per WeekWork LocationMurrayEmployment TermOtherPosition TypeFaculty (Tenure-Track)DepartmentMusicSummary of Job Duties and Responsibilities
Assistant or Associate Professor Department of Music, Murray State University. Full-time to begin July 2020 for a contract term of July 15-May 15.
• Manage all facets of the Athletic Band program (including, but not limited to: budget, recruiting, administration, festival coordination, and travel)
• Teach Instrumental Music Education courses and in other areas commensurate with departmental needs and candidate’s qualifications
• Coordinate Instrumental Music Education courses and supervise student teachers as assigned
• Coordinate with the Director of Bands and Athletic Department
• Maintain positive relationships with public school programs
• Meet research/creative and service obligations consistent with all faculty appointments
• Serve as an academic advisor to assigned students
• Masters degree in a music fieldMinimum Experience and Skill Requirements
• Demonstrated success leading a marching band
• Demonstrated success recruiting to a marching band
• Demonstrated musical, financial, and administrative success with college and/or high school concert and athletic bands
• Demonstrated knowledge and application of contemporary drill writing software and drill design sufficient to teach marching band
• Demonstrated skill in arranging music
• Demonstrated artistic and technical skill as a wind band conductor
• Ability to assist the Instrumental Unit with recruitment and retention
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Five years of teaching experience at the secondary or collegiate levelPhysical DemandsWork HoursMinimum SalaryMaximum Salary Posting Details Posting Date06/25/2019Closing DateOpen Until FilledYesSpecial Instructions to Applicants
For best consideration, please submit a completed application along with all required materials by August 15, 2019. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Along with the application, the following items must be included:
• Letter of application
• Curriculum Vitae
• Unofficial copies of Transcripts
• A pdf or Word document containing web links of recent (within the last 18 months) live performances and a brief description of your role in each performance: Marching Band and conducting a Concert Band. (Attach as “Other document”)
• Furthermore, applicants are highly encouraged to send via Word or PDF document a representative sample of supporting materials (may include sample syllabi, budgets, Philosophy of Education statement, etc.) (Attach as “Other document 2”)
As a part of the application, please also provide contact information for three (3) references who will receive an email upon submission of the application with instructions for submitting their recommendation letter online. At least one reference should be able to speak about the candidate’s teaching.Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is the highest level of education attained?
- High School Diploma
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree
- * How many years of experience do you have in this type of position?
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Other Document
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Other Document 2
- Other Document 3