GRCC Campus Police Dispatcher-External
Job Title: GRCC Campus Police Dispatcher-External
Location: GRCC Main Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 1006
Date: August 15, 2019
Title: Campus Police Dispatcher
Schedule: 40 hours/52 weeks
Compensation: $17.74 per hour
Reports to: Chief of Campus Police
Posting closes: August 29, 2019
* Shifts are assigned based on seniority; most likely this position will be 2nd shift.
This position supports the work of the Campus Police Department with a focus on the safety and security of our campus. The primary function of a Dispatcher at GRCC is communication link between the community members and officers providing assistance.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Directly responsible to the Chief of Police.
- Operate a multi-frequency radio console for the purpose of dispatching police units and to give and receive information from police units and other law enforcement agencies.
- Operate a multi-line telephone for the purpose of answering incoming calls and making proper disposition on each of them, place calls as needed to relay information, obtain emergency medical services and wreckers, etc.
- Become certified by the Michigan Department of State Police in order to operate the Law Enforcement / National Crime Information Center information system.
- Maintain and file ledger or reports.
- Maintain communications equipment and report malfunctions.
- Participate in training programs to keep informed of division procedures.
- Function as initial contact for walk-in visitors.
- Regular attendance during normal scheduled hours is required. Being present is essential for serving customers and performing the essential functions of the position.
- Persons in this role are identified as a Campus Security Authority (CSA). CSA’s will be trained and responsible for reporting Clery Reportable Crimes to Campus Police as required by the Clery Act.
- Perform related work as required.
MARGINAL (NON ESSENTIAL) JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Project a professional image including punctuality, dependability and good attendance records.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to multi-task, prioritize and complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Willingness and ability to learn the college-wide system.
- High School graduate from an accredited high school or equivalent.
- Prior Public Safety dispatching experience preferred.
- Ability to communicate with the general public by phone, electronically and through written correspondence.
- Team player with a positive attitude and genuine desire to be helpful.
- Ability to communicate and work harmoniously with all members of the college.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Must have excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Able to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and linguistic abilities.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Enjoy working with the public.
- Ability to take orders and follow given direction.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment that calls for flexibility, adaptability and the ability to handle multiple interruptions and make quick decisions. There may be periods of high stress and unpredictability that will call for members of the department to respond in a calm and efficient manner.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions.
- Ability to handle emergency situations in a calm and efficient manner.
- Ability to maintain composure under high stress situations
- Knowledge of software programs, with a strong emphasis on TIMS, LEIN, PeopleSoft, Word, Excel, ImageNow and building access software.
- Excellent public relations and customer service skills, including effective communication and a pleasant, helpful manner both in person and on the telephone.
- Project a professional image including punctuality and good attendance record.
- Reasonable knowledge of the geography, streets and principal locations of the college.
- Expectation to work overtime and / or remain on shift given short notice.
- Ability to incorporate GRCC values in a professional work environment.
- Must be able to sit at a desk for extended periods of time while performing essential job functions.
- Ability to lift 25 pounds.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
To apply for this position, please visit our website at www.grcc.edu/jobs Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position. Submit a cover letter and resume in one document. The opportunity to apply for this position will close on August 29, 2019 at 11:59 PM ET. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.