Senior Academic Counselor/Prevention Education
Category:: Professional Staff
Department:: Student Affairs
Locations:: Boston, MA
Posted:: Aug 19, 2019
Closes:: Aug 29, 2019 - 11:59 PM EDT
Ref. No.:: UNP
About Bunker Hill Community College:
Bunker Hill Community College is a multi-campus institution with vibrant, urban campuses in Boston, Massachusetts, in nearby Chelsea, Massachusetts, and at three satellite locations in the Greater Boston area. Founded in 1973, BHCC is the largest of the 15 community colleges in Massachusetts, serving some 18,000 students annually across all modes of instruction. The College offers certificates and associate degrees, early college and dual enrollment, non-credit community and corporate training, and industry specific training programs. The College is the 8th most diverse higher education institution in the United States, and is a Hispanic and Asian American and Pacific Islander Serving Institution. Approximately 900 International Students attend from 107 countries, speaking 75 languages.
BHCC is a progressive institution guided by five goals: to Foster Student Success, Strengthen Career, Transfer and Workforce Readiness, Advance Diversity, Inclusion and Equity and Develop the College's Infrastructure. The College is committed to a learning community teaching/learning environment and, as an Achieving the Dream institution, is focused on data-driven student success.
LIVING IN BOSTON:
Boston prides itself on being one of the most livable cities in America with twenty-one diverse neighborhoods offering exceptional medical facilities, vibrant neighborhood business districts, museums, galleries and an extensive network of parks and outdoor recreational areas. Unemployment consistently tracks lower than the national average and job growth in 2014 and 2015 were ahead of projections. Eighty-plus colleges and a quarter of a million college students in the area make Boston one of the country's "youngest major metropolis," according to Boston magazine. Suburbs outside of Boston offer affordable housing options with easy access to public transportation.
Using theory informed practices, campus and national data, evidence supported programs and socially inclusive framework, this position provides education, programs and support designed to increase students' physical, emotional and behavioral health capacities in order to optimize personal development, engagement and academic success. They will facilitate individual and group-based interventions from a motivational interviewing framework. This position requires strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of stakeholders in a diverse community. This full-time position reports to the Dean of Students, the Senior Student Affairs Educator.
- Responsible for assuring compliance with the Department of Higher Education Safe and Drug Free Schools and Campus Act including conducting and writing the biennial review.
- Provides information on a broad scope of health and wellness related topics through presentations, workshops, literature, etc.
- Provides mental health screenings assessing the psychological needs of individual students and makes appropriate referrals to other Senior Academic counselors and community resources agencies when needed.
- Utilizes B.A.S.I.C.S. (Brief Alcohol Screening Intervention for College Students) to assess and refer students to community services.
- Applies principles of Motivational Interviewing when working with students in the process of making behavioral changes.
- Is an active member of the Campus CARE team.
- Responds to CARE team reports and works with the Dean of Students and other members of the CARE team to identify responses for individual students.
- Provides daily crisis response in support of BHCC faculty and staff.
- Plans and implements college-wide activities that promote healthy living such as a Wellness Expo, Nutrition, and Fitness Workshops, smoking cessation and meditation sessions.
- Meets with Assistant Dean in Code of Conduct meetings with students.
- Works with faculty to assist with classroom management strategies, how to identify students in need and in crisis.
- Support/co-coordinate vaccine clinics and HIV/AIDS screenings with academic departments and student groups.
- Investigates the feasibility of and potentially develop a peer educator program.
- Strives to prevent and reduce illnesses by informing the public about the importance of exercise and proper nutrition, how to avoid sexually-transmitted infection and other general behaviors that promote wellness.
- Supports students through walk-ins and appointments by answering inquiries, providing resources and referrals in the Boston-area.
- Stays current on national best practices in College Health and Wellness Education.
- Develops and maintains accurate resources on the Dean of Student's webpage regarding mental health issues, counseling and identity development for students, faculty, and staff with the Assistant Dean.
- Actively participates in Orientation, student mentor training and staff and faculty professional development.
- Master's degree in Counseling, Psychology, Student Affairs, Health Prevention/Education or closely related field; with ten (10) years experience the includes counseling, crisis intervention, social work, and personal computer operations; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- College Prevention and Education experience, College Case Management or College Judicial experience.
Salary Range: $59,939.00-$70,000.00. Actual Salary Will Be Commensurate With Education and Experience in Accordance with MCCC/MTA Collective Bargaining Agreement. Full state Benefits.
Grade: 6, Unit-Professional position
Review Date: To ensure consideration application materials must be received by August 29, 2019
To be considered for this position please upload the following documents to your account:
- Cover Letter
Please be sure to address the Required Qualifications in your documents.
If you need assistance applying through this website please contact our online Help Desk HERE