Director of Study Abroad and International Student Services
Southwestern University invites applications for the full-time twelve-month position of Director of Study Abroad and International Student Services. The Director will lead the Office of Study Abroad and International Student Services, ensuring program goals and strategic plans are consistent with departmental and University missions. Reporting to the Senior Director of Integrative and Community-Engaged Learning, this position will serve as a member of a team in the Center for Integrative Learning. The Director is responsible for all aspects of study abroad as well as the support of international students.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Administration/Strategic Planning
- Ensures the academic and fiscal integrity of all international programs and activities.
- Stays current with best practices in international education and implements policies accordingly, including health and safety abroad.
- Oversees policies and processes related to risk and crisis management and safety and security for study abroad.
- In collaboration with the Enrollment Services department, develops informational materials regarding international student admissions.
- Serves on university committees and represents Study Abroad and International Student Services.
- Evaluates program goals using data-driven analyses in response to changing conditions with the goal of increasing study abroad participation.
- Collaborates with faculty and/or staff to establish long-range strategic and operational plans.
- Supervises Assistant Director of Study Abroad and International Student Services.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Study Abroad Advising
- Plans and implements study abroad promotion, recruitment and outreach activities.
- Conducts individual and group advising for students on academic and personal goals, program selection, health and safety issues, inter-cultural competency, etc.
- International Student Advising
- Acts as PDSO and immigration advisor to Southwestern’s international students.
- Maintains university compliance with federal and state regulations governing institutions approved to host international students - Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVIS), etc.
- Creates, coordinates, plans, and implements international student orientation. Advises initial F-1 international students on matters related to college life, the U.S. study experience, safety, transportation, employment, health insurance, adjustment to campus, and maintenance of student status.
- Partner with other Southwestern offices to meet the needs of international students related to financial aid, academic advising, registration, housing, insurance, and delivery of other campus resources.
- Faculty-Led Programming Development
- Works with faculty to develop, implement, recruit, evaluate, and assess faculty-led programs.
- Researches, evaluates, and recommends options for new programs; directs the development, implementation and ongoing management of these programs.
- Collaborates with academic departments to ensure the integration of study abroad into the curriculum.
- Explores, negotiates, and drafts new study abroad/exchange agreements, and memoranda of understanding in coordination with the Office of the Dean of Faculty and the Office of Campus Safety and Risk Management.
Job requirements include:
- A Master’s degree in international education or a related field
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in international education with increasing levels of responsibility
- Demonstrated leadership in international program management
- Experience in program development, risk management, assessment, budget management, and staff supervision
- Experience creating effective campus study abroad orientations and reentry programs
- Ability to interact effectively with a broad range of constituents (students, parents, faculty, alumni, on campus staff and overseas staff and institutions)
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally
- Excellent interpersonal, project management, problem-solving, and presentation skills.
- Proficiency with MS Word and Excel, email, and databases.
- Highly-organized, detail-oriented, and able to execute multiple tasks quickly and accurately.
- Ability to use discretion and tact in working with confidential/sensitive information.
Preferred requirements include:
- Experience in a liberal arts setting
- Experience with SEVIS administration
- Experience supporting international students in a university setting
- Participation on a study abroad program as an undergraduate
- Foreign language fluency
Southwestern University offers competitive salary and benefits including health, dental, life, long term disability, retirement, 15-paid holidays, vacation, sick leave, tuition assistance, access to athletic facilities, free parking and discounted meal rates. Southwestern University is a selective, undergraduate institution committed to a broad-based liberal arts, sciences, and fine arts education. Southwestern University is deeply committed to fostering a diverse educational environment and especially encourages applications from members of groups traditionally under-represented in academia. For information concerning the University, visit our Web site at www.southwestern.edu.
To apply: The University will only accept application materials through Interfolio at apply.interfolio.com/67067. Interested persons must submit a letter of interest, resume, the names and contact information of three professional references and salary expectation. Email and paper applications will not be accepted. Only completed applications will be reviewed by the Search Committee. The Committee will review all completed applications until the position is filled. It is anticipated that campus visits will be scheduled during the month of October.
All offers of employment are contingent of successful completion of the University’s Background Check Policy process. EOE/M/F