Open Rank (Assistant/Associate) Professor & Director of Teacher Education
University of La Verne
Open Rank (Assistant/Associate) Professor & Director of Teacher Education
Job Description Summary:
The University of La Verne's LaFetra College of Education (LFCE) is seeking an experienced faculty member to serve as Director of Teacher Education Programs, with the position to be filled by Summer 2019. Candidates must possess a record of service in higher education in the areas of teaching and leadership and a solid track record of scholarship commensurate with a tenure track position. Candidates must have demonstrated ability to successfully collaborate with faculty, administrators, school district personnel, and community partners. We seek a dynamic, creative, scholar-practitioner whose experience focuses on teacher education and advancing issues of diversity, access, and social justice in education and society. This a full-time, tenure track faculty position at the rank of associate professor, with a renewable 3-year commitment to lead the programs housed in Teacher Education (Multiple and Single Subject Credential, Master of Arts in Teaching and Master of Education Special Emphasis). The responsibilities of Director include work during the summer and are remunerated with a stipend. The director will work closely with the Assistant Chair of Teacher Education to support the programs in our regional campuses and with the Program Chair of Special Education to align the work of the credential programs and create pathways for obtaining dual credentials.
LFCE recognizes the need to develop teachers who can apply research-based approaches to teaching while maintaining the social consciousness to address inequities in current educational structures. The multiple and single subject teacher preparation programs address teaching strategies for all students in California schools. Integrated throughout the programs are methodologies to deliver comprehensive instruction to English learners and to work with special populations in the general education classroom. In addition to the multiple and single subject credentials, the program offers an Enhanced Intern Credential and a California Teachers of English Learners certificate.
Established in 1891, the University of La Verne is an independent, nonprofit, comprehensive, doctoral granting institution in Southern California founded on the university's core values of leadership, caring, excellence, and diversity. The University is designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution with 40% of the student population identifying itself as “Hispanic/Latino,” 55% students of color, 10% international students, and a large proportion of first-generation students. All programs have high retention and graduation rates for underrepresented minorities.
The University has a strong commitment to diversity and places a high priority on creating an environment that supports the growth and success of underrepresented and under-served populations, particularly in urban and rural environments. The La Verne Experience is at the center of a strategic plan that is focused on serving an ethnically and economically diverse student population that is representative of the demographics in California. Two prominent annual rankings of America's Best Colleges - U.S. News and World Report, and Forbes Magazine, recognize the University of La Verne as one of the nation's top national universities.
The Director of Teacher Education must be an innovative leader with strong interpersonal skills committed to excellence in teaching, to mentoring students, and to building relationships within and outside of the College, including local schools and state educational agencies. Additional responsibilities include:
• Work collaboratively with Associate Dean, Program Chair of Special Education and colleagues to design and deliver high quality, state-of-the-art education.
• Design and implement an overall developmental advising model/plan that is suitable for Teacher Education students and reflects the LFCE mission and vision plan.
• Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Teacher Education Programs.
• Work with LFCE faculty and staff to gather data and support the system of continuous improvement and accreditation.
• Implement a new advisement module to facilitate appointment scheduling and case management and student success.
• Maintain a Student Success Team, to identify barriers to student success, and report on trends and issues that affect retention and persistence and address those issues through practical programming found in best practices in higher education.
• Develop materials and conduct professional development trainings such as workshops for teacher education full time and adjunct faculty and staff to create and sustain a culture of life-long learning and improvement.
• Serve as resource for teacher education with respect to policy interpretation, student concerns, and advising best practices.
• Work with the dean’s office, faculty and staff to implement and monitor an early alert system to solve concerns related to student success and improve retention.
• Supervise, motivate, support and assess the faculty in the Teacher Education Programs.
• Serve as front line person for students (and their families) with challenges and support needs, working with campus support services and staff as deemed appropriate.
• Collaborate with the Office of Fieldwork Experiences to ensure that systems and processes are in place to certify a smooth transition from coursework to fieldwork.
• Oversee the design, refinement, and execution of support services and academic activities for newly admitted teacher education students including necessary processes related to admitting, advising and registration for new students.
• Work with enrollment management on recruitment of new students, such as attending recruitment events and information sessions.
policies, procedures and Core Values.
• Teach primarily at regional campuses;
• Teaches four courses per year per PEPPIT requirements on faculty workload;
• Keeps up with developments in the field of study;
• Demonstrates high standards, both academic and professional;
• Evaluates student work constructively and provides timely feedback;
• Plans, develops, and uses effective teaching methods and materials which assist students in meeting course objectives, are appropriate for students with diverse educational and experiential backgrounds and learning styles, and engage the students in learning;
• Provides access to students through posted office hours, electronic communications, and
other appropriate methods and responds to inquiries in a timely manner;
• Reviews, evaluates, and recommends student learning materials;
• Develops and uses a syllabus and course information materials for each course, laboratory, or clinical setting within state, college, and departmental guidelines.
• Maintains high standards of competence in the discipline(s) and teaching methodologies through professional development activities;
• Reviews, evaluates, reflects, and revises program curricula and teaching methods through a self- evaluation process of self-reflection;
• Participates in annual growth plan process for the LaFetra College of Education;
• Meets or exceeds professional standards and discipline-specific requirements, as appropriate to the discipline.
Service and Administrative Duties
• Coordinate MAT program at all regional campuses for the purpose of supporting faculty, staff, and students and ensuring quality program implementation across all campuses;
• Be familiar with each campus’s location, staff, faculty, and characteristics;
• Maintain regular contact and communication with regional campus directors, meeting at least once a month with each director individually and once a month with the regional directors as a group;
• Visit each regional campus at least once in each term (fall, winter, spring, summer);
• Coordinate and conduct observations of regional campus faculty and adjuncts (both main campus and regional campuses) as needed for promotion and accreditation processes;
• Be the first point of contact for any regional campus issues or concerns, assisting directors, instructors, and students with problem solving;
• Coordinate and assist academic advisors with scheduling of new cohorts and courses for the regional campuses;
• Oversee admissions process for regional campuses and approve all admissions, appeals, and advanced standing decisions;
• Coordinate and conduct Student Study Team meetings or other interventions as needed for regional campus students;
• Assist with student advising at the main campus;
• Meet and coordinate with the Director of Teacher Education on a regular basis (at least monthly, more often as needed);
• Collaborate with Director of Teaching Fieldwork to ensure quality implementation of fieldwork at regional campuses and assist with planning and delivery of training for regional supervisors;
• Oversee intern credential application process for all regional students (phone interview with candidate, review of application and paperwork, final approval);
• Attend and assist with facilitation of monthly program meetings at the main campus;
• Attend other program and college-level meetings, including credential analyst meetings as needed.
Minimum qualifications include:
1. Earned doctorate in education or related field from an accredited institution
2. A teaching credential issued by a state accrediting body
3. At least three years of teaching experience in grades K-12
Preferred qualifications include:
1. At least three years of teaching experience in teacher education at the higher education level
2. Experience in a leadership role in higher education
3. Experience designing and teaching in Bilingual Credential Programs.
4. Experience designing and teaching in dual special education and general education programs.
Location: La Verne Central Campus
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: http://laverne.edu
Located in Southern California, the University of La Verne offers a distinctive and relevant educational experience to a diverse population of students, preparing them for successful careers and a commitment to lifelong learning across the liberal arts and professional programs. The academic units of the not-for-profit university include the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Business and Public Management, the LaFetra College of Education, and the College of Law. The university offers both undergraduate and graduate programs, including degree programs tailored for working adults. The university's central campus is located 30 miles east of Los Angeles in the historic Old Town section of La Verne, a city with a population of approximately 35,000 at the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. The university also has eight regional campuses throughout California and the College of Law campus in Ontario, California. The university is classified as a Carnegie Doctoral Institution with moderate research activity. Core values are reflected throughout all curricular and co-curricular programs, its emphasis on close professor-student interaction, personal support of its students, and its diversity.
The University of La Verne prides itself in being reflective of the diversity of Southern California. Approximately 80 percent of its nearly 8,500 students come from diverse backgrounds and the U.S. Department of Education has designated the university as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI). With 80,000 alumni, the university fulfills a critical community function in educating students from underserved populations, many of whom are the first generation in their family to attend college.
The University of La Verne is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employment or employees on any basis prohibited by state and federal law. University of La Verne hires and promotes individuals based on their qualifications and is consistent with applicable state and federal laws, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, disability, medical condition a or sexual orientation
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency