Operating Engineer 1, Facilities Heating Plant
Welcome to Rowan University’s Career Site
Rowan University is a Carnegie-classified Doctoral University (Moderate Research Activity) with approximately 19,000 students. Its main campus is located in Glassboro, N.J., 20 miles southeast of Philadelphia, with additional campuses in Camden and Stratford. The University comprises seven academic colleges and five schools—the William G. Rohrer College of Business; the Henry M. Rowan College of Engineering; the Colleges of Communication and Creative Arts, Education, Humanities and Social Sciences, Performing Arts, and Science and Mathematics; the Cooper Medical School of Rowan University; the Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine; the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences; the School of Health Professions; and the School of Earth and Environment—with an Honors College that spans across disciplines. Rowan is one of two public universities in the country to offer M.D. and D.O. medical degree programs. The institution is also home to the South Jersey Technology Park, which fosters the translation of applied research into commercial products and processes. Rowan has been recognized as one of the top 90 public research universities and the 7th fastest growing research institution in the nation.
Rowan University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, age, ancestry, nationality, marital or domestic partnership or civil union status, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability status, liability for military service, protected veteran status, affectional or sexual orientation, atypical cellular or blood trait, genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing), or any other category protected by law. For the complete Rowan University non-discrimination and affirmative action policy see: https://sites.rowan.edu/equity/_docs/policies/eeo-statement.pdf.
Operating Engineer 1, Facilities Heating Plant
Job no: 493991
Work type: Regular full time
Location: Glassboro, New Jersey
Categories: Facilities - Maintenance
- Under supervision of a supervisor in a state institution, department, or agency, takes a leading part in the operation and maintenance of power and heating plants and auxiliary equipment; does related work as required.
Examples of Work:
- Takes the lead in the work involved in the operation and maintenance of boilers, engines, turbines, motors, generators and auxiliary equipment used in power and heating plants.
- Operates, maintains, and makes minor and emergency repairs to varied types of generators and motors, feed and vacuum pumps, feed conveyors, blowers, governors controlling the rate of fuel consumption and automatic stokers.
- Periodically conducts comprehensive tests and takes readings of fuel consumption pressure, draft conditions, temperatures and steam flow, and other recordings.
- Receives, stores, safeguards, records, and supervises the use of equipment, materials and supplies.
- Maintains the records and files of the power plant.
- During emergencies and/or equivalent failure, ensures safe, efficient operation and maintenance of power and heating plants and related equipment.
- Reports fuel and water consumption and reports excessive usage.
- Visually inspects piping and equipment for problems and makes necessary repairs.
- May oversee the installation of new equipment and/or modification of existing equipment to operate at peak energy efficiency.
- May recommend changes to operating procedures to improve efficiency.
- Will be required to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and computerized information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.
- Two (2) years of experience in work involving the operation and repair of stationary steam boilers and auxiliary equipment of a power plant or high pressure heating plant.
- Appointees must possess an appropriate Operating Engineer's license (Blue Seal minimum), issued by the New Jersey Department of Labor, as of the closing date of this announcement.
- Appointees must possess a driver's license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than mobility, is necessary to perform the essential duties of the positions.
Work Hours (Please note that the currently listed shift and availability of same are subject to change to meet the operational needs of the department):
- Alternating shifts of 3:30pm-11:30pm and 11:30pm-7:30am.
- Days are variable due to shift rotation, and some weekends are included.
- In addition to regularly scheduled work shifts, the successful candidate must possess the ability to work days, nights, weekends, holidays, and overtime hours when required.
- Range C16 ($42,112 - $47,823)
- Only completed, online applications submitted on or before the deadline will be considered.
Please note that this position is subject to the NJ First Act, requiring public employees to establish residency in the State of New Jersey. See N.J.S.A. 52:14-7 (L. 2011, Chapter 70) for further information.
Advertised: Aug 15 2019 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Aug 30 2019 11:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time