Specialist, Career Communication
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-08-15
The Darden School of Business has an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated professional to join its team as Specialist, Career Communications. The Specialist executes and manages Darden’s new initiative for advising and education for students in career-related communications which enables all students to succeed professionally by improving their business communication skills across all domains. The Specialist is responsible for managing day-to-day operations of these initiatives and for providing creative development of long-term goals and programming. As a new resource for our students, the Specialist will conduct one-to-one consultations and develop and implement programming across all of Darden’s degree programs. The Specialist is responsible for program development, internal marketing to students, and communications with faculty and staff.
The purpose of this role is to empower students and to assist them in improving their job search and business communication skills as it relates to their Darden career experience, including presentations to companies, interviews, cover letters, resumes, job proposals, and other general communication opportunities. The ultimate goal of this role is to support students with refining and revising their original work. In addition to its main focus of one-on-one assistance, the Specialist will offer workshops and presentations on a wide variety of writing and speaking topics and will participate in special projects. The position will seek out collaborative opportunities with the Management Communications course head and faculty. The Specialist will also work closely with colleagues in the Career Development Center, Degree Programs offices and faculty to understand the needs of Darden students in career communications and develop appropriate programming and resources to meet these needs. This position joins Darden’s experienced Career Development Center team.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
- Oversee Darden Career Communication Advising – provide one-to-one consultations to students and alumni across all of Darden’s degree programs (MBA and MS in Business Analytics).
- Develop and promote advising services to students through orientation presentations, information tables, open houses and other events.
- Develop needs assessment and build programs to support the need.
- Design and promote workshops for students by collaborating with other Darden units including but not limited to Management Communications academic area, Career Development Center, Program Offices, Student Affairs and Center for Global Initiatives.
- Develop on-line materials appropriate for internal website and maintain Communication Advising website.
- Actively participate in activities to offer the most up-to-date career writing and speaking assistance (including technology in support of career communication training and development).
- Participate in university initiatives which promote communication resources.
- Maintain accurate records of communication advising activity and effectiveness. Report annually on performance and impact against agreed-on targets and metrics such as student satisfaction, end of year surveys and service levels.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Bachelor's degree required. Master’s degree in a relevant field preferred.
- At least seven years of experience, or Master's degree with at least five years of journalism or public relations experience.
- Outstanding communication skills and proven ability to provide feedback to encourage, motivate and build confidence in this area (experience with English as a Second Language – ESL – preferred).
- Mastery of Microsoft Word and PowerPoint required; experience with data visualization tools preferred.
- At least 3 years of student-facing experience, preferably in a business school and/or higher education setting strongly preferred.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse student and population, in alignment with the University’s and Center’s strategic plans and diversity and inclusion objectives.
- History of coaching in business/industry and knowledge of individual and group coaching methods.
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment, as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Strong work ethic and ability to multi-task and tolerate ambiguity.
- Trustworthy with high integrity.
- Global outlook, and mindset with global knowledge and experience preferred.
- Ability to interact effectively with internal and external stakeholders and build relationships.
- High level of emotional intelligence, empathy, integrity and collaborative ability.
- Personality and leadership presence to build credibility and strong relationships with internal and external constituencies; appreciates shared governance and is a team player.
- Impact and results orientation; gets things done both individually and through others.
- Attention to detail and ability to follow through on commitments.
- Believes in and is motivated by the missions of UVA and Darden.
This is a one year assignment with benefits. Salary is competitive based on experience.
This position will remain open until filled. For questions about the application process please contact Ashley Cochran, Senior Academic Recruiter, firstname.lastname@example.org.
PROCESS FOR INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs”, and search for R0009285. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, and address).
PROCESS FOR EXTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please visit UVA job board https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs, complete the application and attach a cover letter.The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.