Job location: 2420 OLD IVY RD OFFICE BUILDING
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-08-15
University of Virginia’s Office of Advancement Communications seeks a Senior Designer who is experienced, detail-oriented, self-starting and has a strong, proven ability to think creatively and strategically. The Senior Designer is expected to work collaboratively with the entire Advancement Communications team, with close guidance from the Creative Director.
The department is preparing for the October 2019 launch of a major, five-year fundraising campaign for the University of Virginia. To prepare for the campaign, advancement communications is seeking a versatile senior level designer to develop creative fundraising communications and produce a variety of content across both traditional and digital media. This position will help achieve UVA’s fundraising goals by conceptualizing, designing, and developing content that will inspire a range of audiences to support the University and demonstrate the benefits of giving to UVA.
Within the creative team, the Senior Designer will conceptualize, present ideas, and quickly implement visual solutions for feature stories, web content, social media posts and campaigns, advertising executions, fundraising case statements, annual reports, gift proposals, event graphics as well as both internal and external-facing collateral.
This position will report to the Creative Director and interact with all advancement communications team members as a collaborator and partner. He/she will also proactively build relationships with teams and individuals across the University to develop assets and templates for marketing and philanthropic support in the upcoming campaign for the University.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience with at least seven years of experience.
- Experience working as part of a creative team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including superior attention to detail and organization.
- Ability to translate the University’s educational mission, strategic aims, and programs, into persuasive visual communications materials.
- A versatile designer with ability to work independently and handle multiple projects simultaneously while keeping them all on deadline.
- Strong dedication to craft, staying up-to-date with current design industry trends, software, workflows, and other tools to streamline the production of work product.
- Ability to understand, support and help develop complex creative and communications strategies.
- Knowledge of creating SEO-friendly web content using a combination of creative strategies and data-driven techniques.
- A reliable collaborator, comfortable in a team setting.
- An excellent listener who can give, receive, and readily assimilate constructive feedback.
- Advanced/Expert knowledge of design software including: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Acrobat, Sketch, InVision, font management tools, and cloud-based file sharing and management tools.
- Working knowledge of specialized design and multimedia software including: Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe XD, Adobe Dreamweaver.
- Proficiency with content management systems, specifically Drupal and WordPress
- Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel).
- Knowledge of basic production processes and project management needs.
- Working knowledge of major social media platforms and specifications (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, and YouTube).
- A Bachelor’s or Fine Arts degree in design communications, or related field.
- Advanced knowledge of social media aggregators and management tools is a plus.
- Experience with HTML, Java, CSS or other back-end web programming tools.
This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require walking some distance to attend meetings, and programs.
This position will remain open until filled. This is a restricted position and continuation is based on performance and funding. For questions about the application process please contact Ashley Cochran, Senior Academic Recruiter, firstname.lastname@example.org.
PROCESS FOR INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs”, and search for “R0007947 ”. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, and address). In your cover letter or your resume please include links to digital portfolio.
PROCESS FOR EXTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please visit UVA job board https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, and address). In your cover letter or your resume please include links to digital portfolio.The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.