Rice 360° Chief Electronics Designer
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job TitleRice 360° Chief Electronics DesignerDepartmentRice 360°: Institute for Global HealthFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberS20086Open Date08/15/2019Close Date09/13/2019Salary Information
Salary Commensurate with Experience and QualificationsWork Schedule
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. with occasional evenings and weekends.Benefits EligibleYesEligible for OvertimeNoPosition Summary
The Rice 360° Institute for Global Health offers innovative research & education programs to design and implement new technologies to solve real global health challenges. The Neonatal Essential Solutions and Technologies (NEST 360°) program, led by Rice 360°, is an eight-year initiative to enable African hospitals to provide comprehensive newborn care, and to establish a pipeline of local innovators, technicians and medical staff, in partnership with an international group of engineers, physicians, health experts and entrepreneurs from the United States, the United Kingdom, and Sub-Sahara Africa. NEST360° aims to implement comprehensive newborn care through innovative lifesaving technologies, the provision of both technical and clinical capacity-building, implementation of clinical and technical educational programs and the building of a sustainable distribution network. The first phase of the project will focus on Malawi, Tanzania, Kenya and Nigeria.
Rice 360° is currently seeking a chief electronics designer to serve as the electrical engineering specialist responsible for the design of electronics components in technologies designed by the Rice 360° Institute for Global Health. The chief electronics designer will interact extensively with engineers and clinicians, both domestic and in Africa, in support of the initial design and improvement of the electronic aspects of technologies under development at Rice 360°, with a primary focus on technologies within the NEST360 project.Education RequiredBachelor's DegreeMajor/Discipline
Electrical engineering or a closely related field.Substitution for Education Requirement
Experience may not be substituted for the education requirement.Education PreferredExperience Required3 yearsType of Experience
Related experience in electrical engineering, circuit design and creating new, integrated electrical system designs.Substitution for Experience Requirement
May substitute additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement.Experience Preferred
- Experience with circuit design and documentation
- Demonstrated hands-on experience in assembling and testing electric and electronic circuits to drive functional components
- Experience with design of instrumentation for low-resource settings
- Programming experience including Arduino, C, C++
- Medical device experience
- Proficient and comprehensive knowledge of field of specialization
- Strong verbal and written communication, problem solving, and critical thinking skills with strong attention to details
- Ability to maintain quality safety standards
- Ability encourage teamwork and collaboration
- Ability to solve challenging engineering problems
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong attention to details and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work under deadline with flexibility, tact, good judgment, discretion, and take initiative
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that includes some evening commitments
- Demonstrates Rice 360° Core Values: Trust, Respect, Accountability, Innovation, Teamwork, and Service
- Demonstrated sensitivity to low resource settings
Internal interaction with Rice 360° students, staff, and faculty.
External contacts may include engineers, clinicians, researchers and/or educators in the US and the developing world, as well as nonRice students.Physical Demands
Requires working at a computer for extended periods of up to eight hours per day.Working Conditions
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Occasional weekend/evening work.
Occasional travel, domestic and/or international.
- Conducts research and development activities for an organization
- Contributes to the design, development, implementation, analysis and testing of new technologies
- Conducts experiments; summarizes, documents and presents findings
- Participates in the management of projects, reviewing project scope to ensure projects are on time and within budget
- Provides basic instruction, when necessary to: undergraduates, graduates, post docs, faculty and external users wanting to learn how the use of the instruments for their research
- Performs all other duties assigned
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree or higher in electrical engineering or a closely related field?
- * Do you have three or more years of related experience in electrical engineering, circuit design and creating new, integrated electrical system designs, or additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement?
- * What is your minimum salary requirement?
(Open Ended Question)