Building Services Supervisor
Building Services SupervisorTracking Code648-674 Job Description
Valparaiso University now invites applicants for our Full-time Building Services Supervisor position.
The Building Service Supervisor is responsible for providing the campus with a clean, attractive, and healthy environment. Under direct supervision of the Director of Building Services, this position is responsible for ensuring a well-maintained facility by providing the leadership needed to consistently produce APPA Level 2 cleaning levels. This includes performing manual work in a variety of cleaning and related duties in and around university buildings, good communication with internal/external personnel and internal/external customers, general cleaning, maintain floors, cleaning of equipment, and assisting with events as needed. Working in accordance with established policies and procedures and/or specific instructions from the Director of Building Services.
- Lead by example; provide a positive work environment
- Teamwork; Assist in accomplishing building service duties in various locations and job assignments
- Delegation; plan, assign, track and follow up on work orders to team members
- Perform inspections to ensure that all assigned areas and equipment are clean, safe and in good working order
- Identify staff training, coaching and disciplinary needs
- Receive complaints and resolve problems
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment by educating and directing personal on the use of all equipment and resources; maintaining compliance with established policies and procedures
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, and reviewing professional publications
- Host a monthly staff meeting
- Display a professional demeanor at all times
- Provide clear, concise information both verbal and written
- Pass on information from upper management to employees and vice versa
- Be available to others who may need assistance or have comments or suggestions to demonstrate a commitment to quality service and continually improve services
- Annual performance evaluation and annual raise recommendations
- Maintain supplies and equipment by taking inventory and restocking supplies
- Report maintenance/repair needs via the work order system
- Unlock/lock of assigned buildings
- Operate all equipment needed to perform duties
- Operate company vehicle as necessary
- Shovel or sweep snow from steps and immediate area of building entrances
- Perform task relating to the cleaning of carpet floor coverings, including spotting, shampooing, and bonneting
- Other duties as assigned
This position is Monday - Friday 4:00 am - 12:00 pm
Successful applicants will demonstrate a commitment to cultural diversity and the ability to work with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds.
Employment at Valparaiso University will require a criminal background check.
To be considered for this position you must upload:
- List of 3 professional references
- Answer all the application questions
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to professionally communicate with a variety of people
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Eye for detail
- Professional appearance and attitude
- Ability to keep a positive attitude in a fast-paced environment
- Lifting and or carrying objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Frequent pushing/pulling
- Frequent bending
- Ability to climb stairs and ladders;
- Bend at the waist and knees
- Work from a ladder and work with arms and hands overhead
- Walking and standing all day
- Ability to exercise care in the use of cleaning materials for different types of building surfaces
- Working with equipment or performing procedures where carelessness would probably result in minor cuts, bruises, or muscle strains
- Ability to work long hours at manual tasks
- High School diploma or equivalent required
- Require 2-3 years related experience
- Experience in commercial cleaning required
- Supervisory experience helpful
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must have a valid driver’s license and pass all University driving requirements to drive a University vehicle.
- Knowledge of cleaning methods, materials, and equipment