Position DetailsPosition Information Vacancy IDS2494Job TitleCASHIERDepartmentBookstoreSchool/Parent OrganizationAuxiliary Services Parent OrgDivisionFinance and Administration DivisionEmployment CategoryFulltime-RegularAnticipated start date09/03/2019If temporary, expected end dateHours per week37.5Weeks Per Year40.0Normal Start Time8:30amNormal End Time5:00pmPosition/Job Summary
1. Provide customer services within the MACs Convenience Store and the Campus Store along with merchandising products and processing sales to include operating the point-of-sale-computerized register, and assisting customers in locating merchandise. Stock and display merchandise and provide assistance within other areas of the Campus Store.
2. Record sales transactions including cash and charge cards; receive monies and disburse change; cash checks and calculate discounts if applicable.
3. Assist customers in locating merchandise; offer suggestions and place special orders for items not in stock.
4. Assist students and faculty in utilizing the Campus Store fax service.
5. Retrieve merchandise from the stockroom and price and shelve items; assist in setting up window and counter displays.
6. Conduct visual surveillance of retail sales area and alert appropriate personnel of shoplifting activities.
7. Assist with receiving and verifying shipments; notify supervisor or other designated personnel of merchandise needing to be reordered.
8. Maintain cash register supplies; count and balance cash and checks and request change as needed. Ensure adequate currency in the registers each morning and remove currency every afternoon and close the registers.
9. Provide customers with information regarding Campus Store policies and procedures.
10. Assist with semi-annual Campus Store and stockroom inventory processes.
11. Assist in opening and closing the Campus Store to include checking security of windows and doors.
12. Work closely with the Manager of General Merchandise Operations in monitoring and assigning of day-to-day duties and responsibilities to staff and student assistants.
13. Work with the Shipping/Receiving Clerk regarding the flow of merchandise from the receiving area to the sales floor.
14. Provide training for all new employees, temporary staff and student assistants on operating the cash register(s) and sales floor duties and responsibilities.
15. Assist with the processing of mail orders and reservations received through the website to include pulling, processing, and packaging of orders. Contact customers directly regarding issues concerning their mail orders or reservations. Serve as backup for the Manager of General Merchandise in completing the process in his/her absence.
16. Develop and demonstrate a multicultural awareness and contribute to cultivating an inclusive, diverse and respectful College community. Demonstrate civil and inclusive behavior when interacting with staff, faculty, students and visitors to the College. Promote a flexible, collaborative and inclusive work and living environment and engage in educational opportunities to increase awareness and understanding of diversity and inclusion.Position/Job ResponsibilitiesPosition/Job Qualifications
High School Diploma with one year retail cashiering experience. Good interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills, the ability to work well with the public with an emphasis on customer service, ability to effectively work and interact respectfully within a diverse and inclusive environment, ability to work well under pressure and handle multiple tasks simultaneously. Basic skills and working knowledge of computer operating systems and their usage including a retail point-of-sale operating system and the ability to operate a computerized register/ terminal. Flexibility to work evenings and weekends is required.EEO Statement
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.Instructions for submitting your application:
Interested applicants must apply online at http://ithaca.edu/jobs/ and attach a resume and cover letter. Questions about online application should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (607) 274-8000. Screening of applications will begin immediately.Work authorization (select one):Visa sponsorship is not provided for this positionDepartment descriptionCollege Description
At Ithaca College, a comprehensive residential campus community of 6,500 students, we strive to be at the forefront of the higher education landscape. We offer a distinct integrative learning experience that makes students ready for the personal, professional, and global challenges of our age.
We seek candidates who embrace integrative learning and want to be a part of this exciting time in Ithaca College history. We encourage creative collaboration and innovation in our faculty and staff, providing support and resources for them to grow in their fields and lead students to their own innovative ideas and achievements.
We welcome different ways of thinking and look for candidates with unique points of view and life experiences. We are inclusive of individuals with a wide range of cultural, personal, and professional backgrounds, talents, and skills. Our campus is a vibrant and rewarding community where diverse minds can learn, succeed, and excel.
When reviewing candidates, we are looking for indicators of a number of core competencies. Prospective candidates must be adaptable, collaborative, inclusive, respectful, responsive, results driven, and sustainable. They must communicate effectively, demonstrate leadership, exhibit professional integrity and ethics, take initiative, value personal and professional development, and show that they will engage in the college.
Nestled in the heart of New York State’s scenic Finger Lakes region, Ithaca College sits atop South Hill overlooking picturesque Cayuga Lake and is just minutes away from the city center. Combining small town warmth and charm with the vibrancy of a college community, the thriving and culturally diverse city of Ithaca has been rated by Kiplinger’s as one of the top 10 places to live in the United States.
To learn more about Ithaca College, visit us at http://ithaca.eduMarket Hiring Range$14.00FLSA StatusNon-ExemptIs this position eligible for benefits?YesQuick Linkhttp://ithaca.peopleadmin.com/postings/16466Documents Needed to ApplyRequired Documents
- Cover Letter
- Reference List
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).