Job Title: Program Coordinator
Location: Physics and Astronomy
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 604543
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
This position is supported by two federal grants (12 months, 40 hrs/week) and is contingent on continued funding. Position occasionally requires evening and weekend travel.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
Administrative support for the NAU/NASA Space Grant Program and NAU Research Experiences for Undergraduates in Astronomy Program.
- Provide detailed organization and communication for all program events
- Maintain and reconcile budgets for grant accounts
- Coordinate the Space Grant Undergraduate Research Internship Program and the Research Experiences for Undergraduates in Astronomy Program
- Submit required reports for the grants and conduct all administrative support associated with the program grants
- Supervise the American Indian Mobile Education Resource (AIMER) Coordinator
- Provide hands-on support at off-campus Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) events, including travel and work at tribal schools with the AIMER Coordinator
- Track alumni of the Space Grant Undergraduate Research Internship and Research Experiences for Undergraduates in Astronomy programs
NAU is currently engaged in an Organizational Growth and Effectiveness Initiative, which focuses on positioning the University for future success of its operational practices. As a result, some aspects of this position may be subject to change, such as, but not limited to: duties, titles, reporting structure, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field AND two years administrative/coordinative program experience, OR
- Six years of progressively responsible administrative coordinative program experience, OR
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training, and/or education.
- Ability to work well with students, faculty, staff, and off-campus scientists.
- Experience with NAU Business systems and website design.
- Ability to prioritize and complete tasks in an organized manner.
- Have an interest in learning about astronomy and the use of telescopes
- Experience working with a wide variety of cultures.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of basic accounting/budgeting procedures.
- Knowledge of basic software applications such as Microsoft Word and Excel and Adobe Acrobat and Illustrator, and ability to learn specialized software.
- Good organizational and communication skills.
- The ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year the Northern Arizona University Police Department releases an annual security report. The report is a result of the federal law known as the Clery Act and contains policy statements that address the school’s policies, procedures and programs concerning safety and security including policies for responding to emergency situations and sexual offenses. The report contains three years of data for Clery reportable crime statistics for the campus along with the most current year’s Fire Safety Report, which includes policy statements and fire statistics for Flagstaff on-campus student housing.
The report may be viewed at nau.edu/clery or by visiting the NAUPD website. A printed copy of the report is available upon request by contacting the NAU Police Department, Records Department at (928)523-8884 or by visiting the department at Building 98A on the NAU Mountain Campus.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available at https://in.nau.edu/Human-Resources/Benefits/ Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date. More information is available at: https://in.nau.edu/human-resources/eligibility-enrollment/
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days (https://in.nau.edu/Human-Resources/Required/). If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
August 29, 2019 at 11:59pm
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on line at https://in.nau.edu/human-resources/ or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.