Web Content Developer
Posting DetailsPosting Information Vacancy TypeEHRA Non-FacultyIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoWorking TitleWeb Content DeveloperSalary RangeAnticipated Hiring RangeCommensurate with ExperiencePosition Number00107665Work ScheduleMonday-Friday (8am - 5pm)Full Time Equivalent (FTE)1.00Department110901 - Crop and Soil SciencesDepartmentCrop and Soil SciencesJob City & StatePrimary Function of Organizational Unit
The Department of Crop and Soil Sciences encompasses diverse disciplines in research extension and teaching. The department’s mission is to develop future leaders in crop, soil and environmental sciences, improve crop plants and products, devise effective and sustainable crop production systems, devise effective and sustainable soil management techniques in both agriculture and urban settings; and disseminate crop, soil, and environmental science knowledge for the benefit of users and producers of food, feed turf, biofuels and fiber in North Carolina, the nation and the world.Essential Job Duties
The position is primarily responsible for executing the development of a “decision support tool” for farmers.
Over the first two months in this position, the incumbent will implement the front-end of a web application based on a given software specification and design for cover crop decision support. Predecessors to this tool include the MCCC Species Selector Tool and the UMD Capstone Prototype.
This project requires:
1.) Using the Airtable API and and SQL database to pull necessary.
2.) Creating a suite of UI widgets, such as a planting date chart, using tools like plotly or d3.
3.) Integrating these widgets into a web framework (Django).
4.) Familiarity with the MVC architecture.
In the long term, the incumbent will need to be comfortable learning a wide range of web frameworks, content management platforms, and tools. We understand that the incumbent may be at the beginning of their career and may need to learn some of the skills required to perform the duties. Given that, being able to demonstrate the ability to learn the necessary skills to do activities such as:
- Create a quick static website on Github pages with a custom domain name.
- Develop a quick demonstration web application using node and react according to a researcher’s design and specification.
Other duties as assigned.Minimum Education/Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Web Development, Computer Science, Software Engineering, or another related field.
- Basic knowledge of server management, cloud hosting, network security, and domain name management.
- Basic knowledge of a range of web frameworks, including underlying programming languages and current user interface trends. Proficiency in at least ONE language.
- Basic knowledge of how to use and potentially create APIs and databases.
- Familiarity with software design and architecture (you will not be expected to do this, but should be able implement a given wireframe or schema).
- Ability to implement a web application that conforms to web accessibility standards, a design system, and institutional regulations, as necessary.
- This position requires professional knowledge of computational biology, bioinformatics, computer science, engineering, agronomy, or related field.
- Must have strong analytical skills, experience working with databases and ontologies, working with open source software libraries and APIs, and writing manuscripts.
- Must be comfortable working in diverse teams, have strong communication skills and organization.
- Relevant work experience in a web development environment.
- Basic graphic design skills including creating basic assets for a website.
- Ability to create wireframes & mockups.
- Familiarity with human-centered design and iterative development.
Required Applicant Documents: Cover Letter, Resume, and Contact Information for Three Professional References.Job Open Date07/08/2019Anticipated Closing DateIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire Date07/01/2019AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have, or will you have by the start date, a Master's degree or a Bachelor's degree in Web Development, Computer Science, Software Engineering, or another related field?
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References