Coordinator of New Student Programs
Posting DetailsPosting Information Vacancy TypeEHRA Non-FacultyIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoWorking TitleCoordinator of New Student ProgramsSalary RangeAnticipated Hiring Range$40,000Position Number00065108Work ScheduleMonday-Friday, 8am-5pm; some evenings and weekends are required and hours are longer in the summer during the orientation sessionsFull Time Equivalent (FTE)1.00Department240402 - New Student ProgramsDepartmentNew Student ProgramsJob City & StateRaleigh, NCPrimary Function of Organizational Unit
The Division of Academic and Student Affairs (DASA) is a unique organization that integrates curricular and co-curricular components to improve the academic performance of our students and the quality of academic and non-academic experiences at NC State University. Led by Vice Chancellor and Dean, Dr. Mike Mullen, DASA is committed to providing our students the programs and services they need for optimal success (retention, timely graduation, educational and personal growth).
New Student Programs at NC State University develops programs for all first-year and transfer students that help prepare them as they transition into college life, as well as the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead—intellectually, emotionally, academically, and socially. Extending into the school year and beyond, New Student Programs aims to provide students support and programming that will push them past their expectations towards a successful college experience.
New Student Programs addresses the holistic needs of each NC State University student to create a foundation of success.
Based on the core value that people matter, New Student Programs achieves this through:
-Cultivating strategic partnerships across the University
-Promoting an environment of personal responsibility
-Fostering inclusivity through a shared campus identity
-Partnering with parents and families
-Preparing and empowering student leaders to serve the campus
-Striving to be innovative in meeting the needs of our community
NC State University’s New Student Programs department is hiring for a Coordinator to provide support and leadership in the recruitment, selection and training of student leaders, as well as planning and implementation of signature events related to the orientation and transition of NC State students. This includes coordinating aspects of New Student and Family Orientation programs and assisting with departmental on-going programming efforts.
- Coordinating the recruitment and selection process of New Student Programs student staff
- Designing and implementing USC 223: NSP Student Leader Development, a two credit-hour semester long course for Orientation Leaders, including a one-day on-campus retreat
- Creating on-going training and development for returning student staff during the academic year and prior to the summer orientation period
- Planning and executing a week-long summer training period for Orientation Leaders prior to the summer orientation period
- Coordinating and implementing aspects of New Student and Family Orientation programs run by the office including orientation sessions for first-year and transfer students and their
- Supervising the New Student Programs student staff as part of a collaborative team supervision model
- Engaging in a practice of on-going assessment of the student leaders, projects and programs in conjunction with New Student Programs staff
- Collaborating with the Associate Director on communication efforts in relation to their projects
- Assisting with departmental on-going programming throughout the academic year
- Serving as a liaison to campus committees and representing office at regional or national conferences
- Some evenings and weekends are required and hours are longer in the summer during the orientation sessions.
- Master’s degree in higher education, student affairs administration, or similar field
- One to two years related experience working with college students
- Demonstrated use of innovative ideas in leadership development and programming for college students
- Experience in developing and maintaining positive relationships with fellow staff members and campus partners
- Demonstrated experience in supervising and developing training curriculum for student staff
- Excellent interpersonal, facilitation, and communications skills (written and oral)
- Experience with the development and implementation of orientation activities
- Theoretical and practical understanding of student development
N/ARequired License or Certification
Valid Driver’s LicenseSpecial Instructions
In addition to your application, please attach a resume, cover letter, and contact information for professional references.Job Open Date08/14/2019Anticipated Closing DateIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire Date09/30/2019AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have (or will you have by date of hire) a master's degree or higher in higher education, counselor education, student personnel or related field?
- * How many years of professional experience in higher education (or closely related field) do you have?
- No professional experience in higher education (or closely related field)
- 0-1 year
- 1-3 years
- 3-5 years
- 5-10 years
- 10+ years
- * Please briefly describe your experience with orientation programming and/or services for parents of students.
(Open Ended Question)
- * A valid drivers license is required for this position. Do you have a valid DL or the ability to obtain one if selected for hire?
(Open Ended Question)
- Do you have a valid NC driver's license or the ability to obtain one prior to your start date?
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References
- Short Writing Sample