Service Desk Manager
Posting DetailsPosting Information Vacancy TypeEHRA Non-FacultyIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoWorking TitleService Desk ManagerSalary RangeAnticipated Hiring Range$70,000 - $75,000Position Number00104626Work ScheduleMonday-Friday, 8am-5pm, possible evening/weekend hours during heavy work periodsFull Time Equivalent (FTE)1.00Department240110 - DASA TechDepartmentDASA TechJob City & StateRaleigh, NCPrimary Function of Organizational Unit
DASA Technology Services provides strategic, integrated, reliable, and secure technology solutions in alignment with, and support of, the Division of Academic & Student Affairs (DASA) and its strategic goals. DASA Tech is a centralized service that supports all 50 departments, which are a wide array of academic units (providing both academic instruction and support services), student service units (such as health, housing, and career services) and student developmental programming units (such as leadership, and the arts). DASA Tech provides a full complement of services, including daily desktop support, development and support of both custom and vendor applications, and strategic technology budgeting and planning.Essential Job Duties
The Service Desk Manager provides leadership, guidance, direction, and daily oversight to a team of Service Desk Analysts (Technology Support Analysts) who in turn provide technical support to DASA operations. Both the Service Desk Manager and the team of Service Desk Analysts are responsible for understanding the business and programmatic needs of departments, the impact of supported services on student life, and the relationship of both to the IT services they support. The Service Desk Manager dynamically manages the priorities and workload of the team to balance the needs of supported departments and the capacity of the Service Desk. The Service Desk Manager articulates the value of the Service Desk to stakeholders and demonstrates a commitment to customer service, team work, performance management, professional development, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Primary job duties include:
- Serves as the first point-of-contact to accurately assess the priority and category of incidents and requests.
- Properly assigns tickets to Service Desk staff, other functional or strategic areas of DASA Technology Services, or other areas of OIT according to agreed procedures. Communicates the occurrence of high priority or emergency incidents with stakeholders, as needed.
- Coordinates the work of the Service Desk Team to fulfill standard service requests.
- Ensures new device purchases are received, prepared, and deployed. Ensures support is available for on and off-campus events, including teleconferencing and conference room presentations.
- Provides input and receives feedback from the DASA Tech Leadership Team.
- Serves as a member of the DASA Technology Services Leadership Team, attending weekly meetings and holding individual meetings with each member of the team, and overall guiding the Service Desk team in the strategic direction set by the DASA Tech Leadership Team. Discusses measures to reduce the frequency of recurring incidents. Generates operational reports to identify trends and strategically respond to those trends with adjustments to procedures and workload.
- Ensures specialized knowledge about departmental support is spread across the Service Desk Team. Ensures the Service Desk matures through the standardization and documentation of processes.
- Identifies opportunities to document specialized knowledge. Reviews documentation with multiple stakeholders.
As needed, the Service Desk Manager performs the work of a Service Desk Analyst.
- Determines and addresses the root cause of technical problems that occur on departmentally-purchased desktops, laptops, tablets, smartphones, printers, scanners, etc., in additional to campus software, such as Office and Adobe, or department-specific software.
- Adds desktops, laptops, tablets, smartphones, printers, scanners, etc. campus network and configuration management system; install and/or verify the automated installation of software; update hardware drivers and firmware.
- Deploys computing devices that have been set up according to the needs of the user receiving the hardware. Deployment includes scheduling an appropriate time and location with the user and verifying access to software, file shares, and printers.
Other duties as assigned.Minimum Education/Experience
Associate’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related discipline and one year of experience in the information technology field related to the area of assignment; or bachelor’s degree and one year of experience in the information technology field related to the area of assignment; or bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related discipline; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.Departmental Required Skills
Experience with networking management and configuration, including workstation and peripheral integration.
Experience with both Windows and Mac platforms.
Experience with Active Directory, including creating and managing group policy, or similar software.
Experience with supporting faculty in their use of Moodle or similar learning management systems.
Experience with research and develop solutions in response to the changing needs of the supported unit.
Ability to utilize ServiceNow or equivalent trouble-ticket tracking system.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills.Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
Experience working in higher education.
Experience with SSCM, Kbox or similar AD tools.
Experience managing iOS and Android tablets.
CompTIA A+ Certification.
Experience supervising professional technical staff.
Experience managing a service desk or help desk operation.
Understanding or certification in ITIL Foundations.Required License or Certification
N/ASpecial InstructionsJob Open Date08/14/2019Anticipated Closing Date08/28/2019Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire Date09/16/2019AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you selected "Other" for the previous question, please provide the source you learned about this opportunity from.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References