Posting DetailsPosting Information Vacancy TypeEHRA Non-FacultyIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoWorking TitleSystems EngineerSalary RangeAnticipated Hiring RangeCommensurate with ExperiencePosition Number00105067Work Schedule8 am - 5 pm; Monday - Friday and as needed. Call rotation may be requiredFull Time Equivalent (FTE)1.00Department420501 - Information Technology-EHPSDepartmentInformation Technology-EHPSJob City & StateRaleigh, NCPrimary Function of Organizational Unit
The Security Applications and Technologies (SAT) department directs all aspects of current and emerging security technologies for departments and facilities located on NC State’s main campus, as well as remote campuses, sites and properties occupied by corporate partners. The breadth of these responsibilities includes oversight of campus policy, capital funds, systems administration, technology research, and installation/construction and maintenance of the various security systems. Specifically, SAT supports the following technologies: CCTV, Door Access Systems, Duress and Alert Systems, and other Life Safety systems.Essential Job Duties
The purpose of this position is to serve as security systems administrator for all SAT platforms. The successful candidate will assist with the design and vetting of technologies in order to consistently meet the needs of a technologically innovative and rapidly growing department. The successful candidate will support in the development of IT strategies consistent with departmental and campus initiatives.Other Work/ResponsibilitiesMinimum Education/Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or closely related degree from an appropriately accredited institution and three years of experience in operations analysis and design, systems programming, or closely related area; or a Bachelor’s degree from an appropriately accredited institution and four years of experience in operations analysis and design, systems programming or closely related area; or an Associate’s degree in Computer Information Technology, Computer Engineering Technology, or Networking Technology from an appropriately accredited institution and five years of experience in operations analysis and design, systems programming, or closely related area; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.Departmental Required Skills
• Advanced knowledge of Linux administration and configuration
• Proficient at Windows server administration
• Proficient in design and aggregation of databases to include, but not limited to, MySQL, SQLServer, MongoDB and Oracle
• Experience working with object store data structure
• Highly proficient in cloud computing and VMware
• Proficient with TCP/IP networking managed switches administration, MPLS and VLAN utilization
• Advanced knowledge of networking, database administration. systems programming and planning
• Experience with C++, C#, Java, shell commands, command line scripts, J
• Ability to independently resolve complex problems relating to data connectivity, migration and aggregation
• Ability to clearly and concisely communicate pertinent information
• Ability to translate technical issues into understandable terms for non-technical users
• Exemplary time management skills
• Experience with planning and determining technology life cycles
• Strong working knowledge of networking
• Advanced understanding of cyber security assessment
• Experience in system virtualization, in Linux system administration, system automation scripting, penetration testing tools for network and web services, and network operations
• Demonstrated ability to deploy and administer Openstack, or similar virtualization environments
• Advanced knowledge and experience in deployment and administration of large scale network monitoring applications
• Working knowledge of hypervisor technology
• Knowledge of Security Standards, including PCI
• Familiarity with Python, bash shell, powershell, and other scripting languages used for system automation
• Professional knowledge of Linux administration and configuration; Windows, 2008 and 2012 Windows server; Active Directory
• Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or closely related degree from an accredited institution, with a focus on IT Security, and a minimum of one year of experience in system virtualization, in Linux system administration, system automation scripting, penetration testing tools for network and web services, and network operations. The candidate should also have a minimum of six months of experience in Openstack administration, and openNMS network monitoring installations.
• Experience with Metasploit and other penetration testing tools, including Burp Suite
• Familiarity with Splunk, Tripwire, and Identityfinder
• Prefer 5+ years in systems engineering
• Prefer 3+ years in systems architecture
Valid driver’s license.
A valid North Carolina driver’s license or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of start date.
Please include as attachments your resume and cover letter.Job Open Date06/25/2019Anticipated Closing DateIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire Date07/15/2019AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have (or will you have by date of hire) a Bachelors degree (or higher) in Computer Science or related field?
- * A valid driver's license (DL) is required and a North Carolina Driver's License (NCDL) must be obtained within 60 days of hire and maintained as a condition of employment. Do you have a valid driver's license or the ability to obtain one prior to start date, and the ability to obtain a North Carolina Driver's License within 60 days of hire?
- Yes, I have a valid NCDL and will maintain it as a condition of employment.
- Yes, I have a valid DL from another state and will obtain a NCDL within 60 days of hire and maintain it as a condition of employment.
- Yes, I have a valid DL from another state but cannot or will not obtain a NCDL within 60 days of hire.
- No, I do not have a valid DL from any state, but I will obtain a it within 60 days of hire and maintain it as a condition of employment.
- No, I do not have a valid DL from any state and cannot or will not obtain it.
- * In the space below, please describe your professional experience as it relates to this role.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter