Executive Director of Financial Aid
Wayland Baptist University
Executive Director of Financial Aid
Wayland Baptist University, in partnership with the national search firm Scott Healy & Associates, invites applications and nominations for the position of Executive Director of Financial Aid. Reporting to the Vice President of Enrollment Management, the Executive Director of Financial Aid will plan, organize and manage the operations and activities of the Federal, State, locally and privately funded financial aid; embrace financial aid as an integral part of recruitment, enrollment growth and retention; prepare and monitor financial aid operational budgets and review and monitor the accounting and auditing of financial aid funds; supervise financial aid staff and provide direct support services to students. The Executive Director will work collegially with administrators, faculty, staff, students and members of the community as a team while possessing a high level of interpersonal skills. The Executive Director will also work with a high degree of accuracy, courtesy, timeliness, and structure in an environment where multi-tasking is a must. The Executive Director needs to communicate effectively verbally and in writing, and possess patience and a commitment to customer service.
The University: Wayland Baptist University was established in 1908 by pioneer physician Dr. James Henry Wayland, who believed that education should be accessible to all and that it should be grounded in faith in Christ. Wayland’s home campus is located in Plainview, Texas, a city of about 23,000, and it is located on the High Plains of West Texas between Lubbock and Amarillo. Wayland is the oldest institution of higher education in continuous existence on the High Plains of Texas. Wayland also operates campuses in Lubbock, Amarillo, Wichita Falls and San Antonio, Texas; Altus, Oklahoma; Clovis and Albuquerque, New Mexico; Phoenix and Sierra Vista, Arizona; Anchorage and Fairbanks, Alaska and Kapolei, Hawaii. The university also offers full degree programs online. Wayland Baptist University is dedicated to providing an innovative education informed by a Christian worldview. Its commitment to a transformative environment of faith and learning is affirmed in the University’s Mission and Core Values. These statements of purpose define the institution and shape the growth of every Wayland student.
The mission of Wayland Baptist University is to educate all students in an academically challenging, learning-focused and distinctively Christian environment for professional success and service to God and humankind. The University is guided by the following core values:
- Commitment to Student Learning
- Christian Distinctiveness and Baptist Heritage
- Integrity, Diversity, Trust, and Respect
- Excellence, Innovation, and Adaptability
- Service to Our Communities
- Personal, Professional, and Spiritual Development
- Stewardship of Our Resources
- Planning and Accountability
- Environmental Responsibility
The Position: The Executive Director’s position will require both broad oversight as well as a hands-on management style, including a thorough knowledge of current best-practices in financial aid and possess an enrollment growth mindset. The primary responsibilities of the position include:
- Develop, recommend, implement, maintain and distribute policies, procedures, standards and guidelines for financial aid programs ensuring compliance with Federal and State laws and local regulations.
- Provide the data required by Federal and State agencies including preparation for audits of financial aid records; complete the required report for Pell recipients; complete the annual Application to Participate in Federal Student Financial Aid Programs and provide financial aid data for IPEDS.
- Assist in the preparation of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) end of year report for financial aid received by WBU’s student athletes.
- Manage funds, prepare and submit reports as required by the funding agencies; administer the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Work Study, Scholarships, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant BOG and other aid programs.
- In concert with other officers and directors, play a critical role in a tuition driven institution by being enrollment minded for all students across the University system.
- Prepare and monitor the annual department budget in accordance with established University policies and procedures.
- Communicate with University administrators, other personnel and outside agencies to coordinate activities and programs, resolve problems and exchange information.
- Calculate refunds and repayments for students who withdraw from classes; ensure compliance with Satisfactory Academic Progress regulations.
- Develop strategic planning goals and objectives for financial aid in conjunction with the University’s strategic plan.
- Maintain current knowledge of new or changing financial aid related regulations; develop and modify procedures and standards accordingly; incorporate creative guidelines and innovative trends into the financial aid, scholarship and federal work study programs.
- Embrace technology and related best-practices in the financial aid industry in order to impact student engagement and enrollment growth.
- Determine eligibility of students for scheduled payments; authorize disbursement of Federal, State and private aid; analyze and forecast expenditures for Federal, State and institutional grant aid, loan and work programs.
- Manage, supervise and coordinate the daily operations of the financial aid office.
- Instill, maintain, and require both a strong sense of customer service throughout financial aid services system-wide and an understanding of how financial aid directly contributes to both the academic success and success realized post-graduation for the students served by Wayland.
Qualifications: The person selected should have the following qualifications:
- Master’s Degree is preferred
- Five years University/College financial aid experience
- Thorough knowledge of federal regulations for administering federal financial aid
- Analytical ability, excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills with faculty, students, and administrators across the entire University community
- Ability to collaborate with others across the University community
- Strong management and leadership skills to build and lead a positive and effective team
- Ability to train personnel in current best-practices across the financial aid industry
- Independent problem solving, self-direction, and strong time management skills
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Skilled with industry technology including word processing, spreadsheets databases and PowerPoint. A working knowledge of software is preferred, including PowerFaids, PowerCampus, ImageNow and Talisma.
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritize duties
Application and Nomination Process:
The University has partnered with Scott Healy & Associates in managing and overseeing the entire search process. All applications and nominations must be sent electronically to:
Scott Healy & Associates
Attn: Mr. Jamie Marcus, Associate Vice President
Applicants must apply electronically by submitting a Cover Letter outlining their experience and success in all areas indicated in The Position, a complete and up-to-date Resume, and the names of five professional References with title, institutional affiliation, email address, and direct telephone number.
The search process is confidential and no references will be contacted without written permission from the candidate. Applications submitted by September 20, 2019, will be given priority consideration. The search will remain open until the position is filled.
Wayland Baptist University does not unlawfully discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic.