#101201 Senior Software Engineer
This is a Contract position. This appointment may be extended or converted to career status based on the needs of the department.DESCRIPTION
We are a dynamic organization looking for our next great hire to join our team in La Jolla, California. UC San Diego is ranked the 9th best public university in the nation by U.S. News and World Report and is the largest employer based in San Diego County. UCSD IT embraces the fun, agility and innovation of a startup culture while enjoying the security of having technology already deployed with a large and rapidly growing customer base. This is a rare chance to take your career to the next level in one of today's hottest tech industries.
Information Technology Services (IT Services) uses world-class services and technologies to empower UC San Diego's mission to transform California and the world as a student-centered, research-focused, service-oriented public university. As a strategic member of the UC San Diego community, IT Services embraces innovation in their delivery of IT services, infrastructure, applications, and support. IT Services is customer-focused and committed to collaboration, continuous improvement, and accountability
We are looking for a talented Senior Software Engineer to join our team to deliver world class applications to the University environment. We are completely revamping our application platforms, migrating and building for the cloud, implementing and designing for the future. You have talent and desire to apply advanced software concepts and objectives to large scale projects of broad scope and complexity; including researching, designing, developing, modifying, testing, debugging, troubleshooting and maintaining source code. Also having direct involvement in designing related databases, user interfaces, integration to other systems/applications, content or multimedia processes. Collaborate with stakeholders, process owners and ITS colleagues to define and execute strategically aligned project plans. Establish software development, SDLC and IT standards.
• Commitment to excellence in designing, coding, testing, debugging, configuring, and documenting software.
• Provide project-scope technical leadership within the Software Development team.
• Collaborate with Product Management group, Infrastructure Team and clients to clarify the requirements and to translate business requirements into technical specifications.
• Contribute high quality, effective, maintainable and updatable code through the company’s software release cycles.
• Effectively estimate project work and communicate issues and risks that might impact development timeline, budget or resources.
• Consistently deliver projects on time and on budget.
• Consistently apply generally accepted programming standards and techniques to assure efficient program logic and data manipulation.
• Conform to and improve our Software Development Life Cycle.
• Diagnose and resolve software problems quickly and efficiently.
• Create and maintain Unit Tests along with relevant mocked data.
• Perform validation and verification testing.
• Give and receive thoughtful feedback for proposed code changes (via the code review process that has been established).
Our employees enjoy competitive compensation packages and educational opportunities in a diverse, stimulating workforce.
This position is eligible for full: 1) Health/Dental/Vision Insurance2) Vacation/Holidays 3) Life Insurance4) UC Retirement Plan.
For more information about UCSD Benefits visit - http://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/index.html and UCSD Work/Life visit https://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/work-life/index.html
To calculate an approximate value of the UC Total Compensation package, please click here: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/total-compensation-calculator.php
Employee must be available to work evenings and weekends.
Employee must be available to travel as required.
Advanced knowledge in software architecture and design.
Advanced database knowledge and design concepts, complex queries, connection pool management.
Advanced problem-solving skills in complex application environment, including security issues, database connections, memory usage, and business logic
Expert in software repository and build pipelines
Expert knowledge and understanding of SDLC process
Solid understanding of data modeling techniques and database design
Experience with building responsive UI's
Understanding of design patterns for code design
Able to write clean, maintainable, and unit testable code
Able to follow established development practices and guidelines
Experience working in an Agile/iterative development and design process
Understands the why and how of unit testing
Should be a quick study; strong problem solving
- Job offer is contingent upon satisfactory clearance based on Background Check results.