Business Manager II
Posting DetailsPosting Details Posting NumberS03733PWorking TitleBusiness Manager IIDepartmentFACS Human Dev and Family ScienceAbout the University of Georgia
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (http://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,600 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 36,000 students including over 27,500 undergraduates and over 8,500 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.About the College/Unit/DepartmentCollege/Unit/Department websitePosting TypeExternalRetirement PlanTRS or ORPEmployment TypeEmployeeBenefits EligibilityBenefits EligibleFull/Part timeFull TimeWork ScheduleAdditional Schedule Information
40 hours per week Monday through FridayAdvertised SalaryCommensurate with ExperiencePosting Date08/14/2019Open until filledYesClosing DateProposed Starting Date09/20/2019Special Instructions to ApplicantsLocation of VacancyAthens Area EEO Policy Statement
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.Position Information Classification TitleBusiness Operations ProfessionalPay GradeFLSAJob FamilyBusiness And FinanceFTE1.00Minimum QualificationsPreferred QualificationsPosition Summary
Employee prepares complex financial reports for state, foundation, grants, income and sales and service accounts. Solves difficult accounting issues and recommends changes in procedure to assure compliance with UGA policies and procedures. Oversees all financial transactions for the Department, including the Child Development Lab at the McPhaul Center. Oversees accounting for large complex grants and assists research teams with grant proposals, accounting, budgeting and oversight.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies
Excel skills, general accounting knowledge, willing and able to learn UGA policies and procedures, develop and manage budgets in collaboration with Department Head and College Financial Director.
Communicate effectively via multiple venues to varied stakeholders.
Utilize computer technology for all applications in a manner that meets performance expectations.
Remember, organize and consistently focus on a large amount of details and come to appropriate conclusions.
Mentor and manage up to two financial staff and other faculty and staff who perform financial tasks including those in the Child Development Lab at the McPhaul Center, Extension and grant staff; provide fiscal oversight and professional development.
Work in a team environment and contribute to the team as well as accomplish individual tasks and goals.
Interpret data and report to senior administration important fiscal matters.
Sitting for long periods of time at the computer. Light lifting and filing.Is driving a responsibility of this position?Does this position have operation, access, or control of financial resources?YesDoes this position require a P-Card? NoIs having a P-Card an essential function of this position? NoDoes this position have direct interaction or care of children under the age of 18 or direct patient care?NoDoes this position have Security Access (e.g., public safety, IT security, personnel records, patient records, or access to chemicals and medications)YesCredit and P-Card policy
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities Duties/Responsibilities
- Serve as primary person responsible for all funding for HDFS Department including balancing of all accounts monthly (state, grants, foundation, study abroad).
- Submit reports to department head for review on a monthly basis and submit with encumbrances, expenditures, and balances to faculty on a monthly basis for all accounts including salary savings, indirect costs, sales and service accounts, and grants.
- Assist faculty with requests for carry over, no-cost extensions, residual balance requests, faculty salary savings and indirect costs, award pending requests and other reports.
- Stay up to date on Sponsored Projects Administration and UGA Foundation policies and procedures. Monitor grants for appropriate expenditures and ensure that all expenditures are allowed by the Sponsor by working closely with Principal Investigators.
- Work with Program Directors on Study Abroad budgets, expenditures, accounts, program fees, etc. Process financial and HR transactions for budget and payroll.
- Process transactions for grant employees to setup, adjust and terminate employment in the budget system accurately and timely. includes faculty, staff, student workers, part-time faculty, graduate assistants, employees on grants and other temporary employees.
- Process hourly and salary payroll; ensure employees’ timesheets are signed off in a timely manner; train new employees on the systems as needed; send weekly reminders and provide guidance to supervisors and employees.
- Run payroll reports for bi-weekly, monthly, and academic payrolls to ensure that all employees are included on the payroll and pay amounts are accurate for every payroll.
- Run system reports to ensure that inactive employees, including faculty, staff, student workers, graduate assistants, part-time faculty, and other temporary employees, are terminated; submit termination requests.
- Process all graduate assistantship payroll. Advise Graduate Coordinator regarding graduate student financial decisions and policies.
- Report to Department Head and Business Finance Office Director.
- Track, adjust, and manage budget throughout the fiscal year providing feedback, insight and notification.
- Guide Budget Planning in cooperation with Department Head and Program Leadership.
- Supervise, support and train faculty and financial staff, and other staff engaged in financial transactions including those in McPhaul Child Development Lab, Extension, and departmental grant-related financial staff.
- Attend financial staff meetings and complete College wide financial and HR tasks as assigned.
- Attend Training and Development classes to improve skills and keep abreast of new and changing policies and procedures relating to accounting, budgets, sponsored programs and other University policies and procedures. Recommended attendance for one (1) or two (2) Training & Development training sessions per year relevant to job duties.
- Other duties as assigned and deemed necessary by the department head or financial director.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What experience do you have with the financial management of grant and foundation accounts?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please describe your level of proficiency and experience with Microsoft Office applications.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Provide examples of how you handled difficult situations with those you have worked with.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- List of References with Contact Information
- Unofficial Letters of Recommendation