Backend Software Developer - ITS
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-08-14
UVA Information Technology Services (ITS) is seeking a Backend Software Developer with a system operations background to drive automation of service provisioning, configuration and data management across our IT service portfolio. This position will work in the Enterprise Infrastructure area and will have the opportunity to work with teams across our public and private cloud to help us build the next generation of agile services and solutions.
This is a learning and growth opportunity for a team-player in collaborating on improving ITS infrastructure across the University.
Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Perform code testing (Behavior, Integration, Load, Functional, Unit, etc.) and debugging on back end applications and systems.
- Utilize virtualization & containeriz), to ensure uniformity in development of applications.
- Collect, monitor, and assist with designing instrumentation for data systems and workflows (Grafana, CloudWatch, and/or a time series database).
- Use SQL and NoSQL Databases to define, store and manipulate data.
- Build, test, deploy, and manage application architecture using cloud service oriented concepts on AWS.
- Utilize REST APIs/API Integrations (JSON/YAML/XML) to connect applications, databases, and devices critical for user and project needs.
- Learn and write next generation serverless functions using AWS Lambda.
- Bachelor’s degree with an additional 3 years of experience as a Backend developer OR an Associate’s degree with 6 years of additional experience as a Backend developer.
- At least one year of experience using configuration management Ansible, Puppet, Chef, Docker or SaltStack.
Extensive experience using Python.
Anticipated Hiring Range: $75,000 - $95,000 commensurate with education and experience.
This position will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. This position will also require an Education Verification. (FSAKA)
Process for External Applicants: Please apply through Workday, and search for ‘R0007944'. Complete an application online and attach CV/resume and the contact information for three references.
Process for Internal UVA Applicants: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs,” and search for ‘Backend Developer’ Complete an application online and attach a CV/resume, and the contact information for three references.
Questions related to the application process may be directed to Lauren Jackson, IT Recruiter at [email protected].The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.