Customer Support Specialist
The Customer Support Specialist is part of the Office of the Chancellor Technical Services Team, and will report to the Microsoft OS Team Lead. This position functions primarily as the Tier 1 point of contact for staff seeking technical assistance for technology issues. Additionally, the Customer Support Specialist will work closely within a larger team environment in order to provide superior end user support.
Help Desk Services
- Field incoming support requests via a central help desk phone line and email box.
- Thoroughly document in the trouble ticketing system all end user issues and follow up in a timely manner.
- Monitor the trouble ticketing system on an ongoing basis. Quickly resolve those issues that are tier 1 related and escalate and follow up on open tier 2 issues.
- Provide one-on-one guidance and knowledge transfer to end users related to the various applications in use in the environment.
- Perform help desk duties in person whenever possible so as to produce the highest levels of customer satisfaction when performing such duties.
- Perform basic network troubleshooting.
- Assist with the support of the telephony system including on site telephony servers, cabling patches, end user devices and other telephony tasks as directed by the communications manager.
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to the support services offered by the Help Desk.
- Configure workstations for end users use utilizing a standard desktop configuration.
- Provide end user support for onsite printing/copying/multifunction services.
- Provide end user support for mobile devices.
- Troubleshoot and resolve access and connectivity issues.
- Participate in the operation, service and maintenance of hardware and software components of the Dixon University Center's server infrastructure.
- Assist with the configuration and maintenance of the Help Desk trouble ticketing system as directed by the Microsoft OS Team Lead.
- Act as primary pc support at the Dixon University Center as well as the Vartan Way branch office.
- Ensure the compliance of Office of the Chancellor IT systems and practices in regards to the guidance provided by the CIO.
- Maintain a high level of knowledge and proficiency related to current as well as emerging information technology equipment and software.
- Provide input to the team lead concerning the implementation of new information technologies or enhancements to existing systems.
- Proactively monitor and respond to issues identified in the workstation environment.
- Maintain the asset inventory database to include all equipment at the Dixon University Center as well as the Vartan Way branch office.
- Receive and respond during business hours to automated problem notifications related to workstation support.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- This position will perform work duties at the various Office of the Chancellor locations (Dixon University Center and the Vartan Way branch office) as required on a daily basis.
- Business casual attire required on a daily basis with business attire required when executive conferences are occurring at the Dixon University Center.
- Work hours will vary based on coverage at the various locations. Start/end times may shift up to 2 hours in order to provide sufficient customer support based on absences, work load, etc.
Associates degree and/or a combination of education, professional level Microsoft support experience, and relevant certifications are required. A minimum of 2 years demonstrable IT customer service experience is essential.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work with personnel at all levels of the organization
- Possess a working knowledge of
- Microsoft Active Directory account and group administration
- Microsoft Exchange mailbox management
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Previous support experience in state government and higher education
- Experience with Microsoft software products including: SharePoint, Windows Desktop and Server OS, Microsoft Office suite, Office 365 and OS deployment tools