UMH - Nursing Assistant (U)
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-08-14
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Where Excellence Meets PurposeThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful purpose to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.The University has been named on Forbes's Best Employers list for two consecutive years, and is the only university in Florida to receive this honor.
The University of Miami Health Systems has an exciting opportunity at UTower for a Nursing Assistant. The Nursing Assistant assists nursing service personnel with a variety of patient care activities and related services necessary in caring for the personal needs and comfort of patients. Additionally, the incumbent assists with personal hygiene, takes vital signs, and changes bed linens. The Nursing Assistant also serves and collects food trays, provides for between-meal nourishment, and cleans, sterilizes,stores, and prepares other supplies.
- Provides safe transportation of patients from their rooms to various areas of the hospital.
- Ensures patient safety by verifying the patient identification band, chart and sending slip.
- Assists patients to and from the stretcher.
- Assists nursing personnel with patient positioning and patient skin preps.
- Cleans and prepares surgical suite and disinfects stretchers in between patients.
- Supports the supply needs of the department by receiving supplies and restocking all areas.
- Maintains the cleanliness of the surgical suite and cleans the operating rooms at the end of the day’s schedule.
- Empties all trash containers, suction canister boxes, and replaces bags and boxes, periodically throughout the day.
- Maintains attendants’ supply room with needed solutions for the cleaning and maintenance of floors, polishing of glass, and cleaning of counters and walls.
- Maintains inventory of wet vacuum hoses, floor tools,and brushes.
- Mops the floor between surgical procedures.
- Cleans patient pantry and dining area and empties trash frequently.
- Returns equipment to the storage room and keeps the room orderly.
- Adheres to University and unit-level policies and procedures and safeguards University assets.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- BLS certification
- Ability to read, write, and comprehend the English language and medical terminology
- Previous experience in a perioperative or nursing setting preferred or able to satisfactorily complete a training program
- 1 year of relevant experience
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University of Miami School of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:U1