Dean, College of Graduate Studies (SJSU ONLY)
Job Title: Dean, College of Graduate Studies (SJSU ONLY)
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 25093
Job Code: 3300 Administrator IV
Department: College of Graduate Studies
CompensationClassification: Administrator IV
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please visit sjsu.edu/up.
About the Position*This position is only open to current SJSU employees.*
The Dean will champion the importance of the graduate mission of the University as a passionate spokesperson and effective leader in all aspects of graduate academic matters, e.g., curriculum, enrollment, retention and time-to-degree, financial support for graduate students and competitive support packages, and collaboration with deans, program directors, chairs and graduate faculty. Paramount will be the design of programs that fit student needs, working across organizational units in order to grow and develop these contemporary graduate programs. With a burgeoning reputation for innovation and transformative learning experiences, the graduate dean will emphasize both growth and innovation, while remaining committed to SJSU¿s core values, i.e., developing and nurturing graduate programs that provide students¿ opportunities to contribute to the common good of society while pursuing career-focused aspirations. Thus, graduate education at SJSU serves as the catalyst for future accomplishment in an environment that is increasingly global and information-based.
The Dean must work effectively with departments, faculty, staff, and other senior administrators to define, articulate, and successfully implement a distinctive vision for the College of Graduate Studies. As a member of the provost's Academic Affairs Leadership Team, the dean works with the president, provost, and other deans and senior administrators to manage the university's resources to accomplish the college and university goals.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Creates an academic community in which a diverse population can learn and work in an atmosphere of respect for each individual, modeling equity and inclusive excellence
- Reconfiguration of all student support mechanisms in the form of assistantships, fellowships, scholarships, etc. and budgetary responsibility for implementation
- Develops and recommends annual budget and enrollment practices to support graduate education
- Responsible for effective resource acquisition and allocation, management of funds, and the equitable allocation, development and use of facilities
- Develops, communicates, and maintains guidelines and procedures to support the functions of the college, ensuring that faculty and staff are appropriately trained for compliance with all relevant policies
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
Required Qualifications- A terminal degree in a discipline represented by one of SJSU's colleges' academic programs or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated record of teaching, research, service, and/or experience meriting appointment as a tenured professor in one of SJSU's colleges.
Preferred QualificationsLeadership experience at the department chair, director, associate dean or dean level, experience with accreditation, and/or experience working in a collective bargaining environment.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities- Knowledge of current national and state-wide trends in graduate educational policy and practice
- Knowledge of and the ability to apply research findings in higher education, particularly those related to curriculum and effective teaching
- Ability to promote academic excellence and innovation, including the use of technology
- Knowledge of and ability to interpret Title 5, Executive Orders, and University Policy concerning curricular matters and requirements for admission, retention, and graduation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Effective collaborative leadership style that incorporates organizational, analytical, and decision-making skills with strong change management, project management, and team building skills
- Exemplary quantitative, analytical, critical thinking, and communication skills
- Skill in effective academic planning, administration, budgeting, and personnel management
- Proactive leadership skills, including a willingness to reach out to faculty researchers and graduate students, keep them appropriately informed and professionally engaged, and work to develop and nurture their success
- Strong administrative and management skills, with a demonstrated ability to successfully plan and implement strategic initiatives and to inspire, motivate, develop, and mentor staff
- Ability to display good judgment, discretion, awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals for a multi-cultural public university
- Ability to successfully develop planning documents, proposals, budget request justifications, and other forms of communication with senior administrators and faculty
Application ProceduresComplete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
-Letter of Interest
-List of References
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: August 13, 2019 through September 2, 2019. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Additional InformationSatisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment StatementSan José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
Contact InformationUniversity Personnel
Transformation 2030Engage and Educate: Be a university of first choice where we bring together exceptional people - students, faculty and staff members, and our community - to do extraordinary things with their lives as learners, creators and champions.
Excel and Lead: Be a leading academic institution where faculty and staff members and alumni are regional, national and global leaders in their fields.
Grow and Thrive: Be an inclusive, welcoming and well-balanced community and institution that ensures long-term financial sustainability and effectiveness and also attracts, retains and sustains faculty and staff members and students.
Connect and Contribute: Be an engaged and dynamic urban university with strong connections locally and globally.
Rebuild and Renew: Be a flourishing, modern campus with state-of-the-art infrastructure, campus spaces and technology to support learning, research and community.