SENIOR DIRECTOR OF FINANCIAL SERVICES, STUDENT ACCOUNTS
Northeastern University is seeking an experienced student accounts professional with high energy, an ability to thrive in an atmosphere of continuous improvement, along with a dedicated discipline for bringing together complexity (in scale and scope) and compliance to serve as Senior Director of Financial Services, Student Accounts. Reporting to the Assistant Vice President of Enrollment and Dean of Student Financial Services, the senior director will oversee 14 professionals in the Student Accounts office and will work collaboratively as part of the Enrollment Management division. They will partner widely across campus to effectively coordinate all credit and debit recordings for billing and collection of over $1.8 billion in tuition fee revenue annually, and for accurate disbursement of more than $500 million in institutional, federal, state and private financial aid.
Oversight: The Senior Director of Financial Services, Student Accounts (Senior Director) will provide leadership and oversight for all student account functions to achieve both the highest level of customer service to students and the most effective collection of revenue. The Senior Director will assist the Assistant Vice President of Enrollment and Dean of Student Financial Services (AVP) in directing and managing the organizational, budgetary, policy, technological systems, and personnel requirements and activities of the unit. Possessing a strong organizational mindset, the Senior Director will be responsible for cash management and monitoring all student account-related financial transactions for timely and accurate postings and record keeping. The Senior Director will provide effective management of all aspects of current and prospective student account receivables including the development, implementation, enhancement and maintenance of comprehensive student account online and in-person services to all Northeastern students. In addition, the Senior Director oversees all functions of Student Accounts including fee assessment, billing, collections, disbursement, reconciliation and compliance with all applicable federal, state and institutional laws, regulations and polices for all student populations. Importantly, the Senior Director will coordinate with the necessary offices that service the student account to ensure effective student and parent information and services.
Overseeing a staff of two direct reports and 14 staff overall, the Senior Director will cultivate a positive work environment and will design, implement and assess training and business processes that fully support student enrollment and retention. In addition, the Senior Director will ensure complete and accurate compliance with
Federal, State, and University policies; coordinate internal/external audit responses; and will optimize technology for data integrity and student customer service. The Senior Director will also work with the AVP, and other enrollment management leaders, to develop and implement the institutional strategy for pricing and student financial aid, collaborating on issues regarding student billing with many areas throughout the University.
Qualifications, Qualities and Characteristics
The successful candidate for the Senior Director of Financial Services, Student Accounts position should have 8 to 10 years of progressively responsible leadership in student finance, student accounts, bursar and /or business office. A bachelor’s degree is required; and an advanced degree is strongly preferred. In addition, they should possess:
- Experience as a leader, providing vision and clear communication of vision at varying levels of the university and the division;
- Skills as a mentor and manager able to build an efficient and positive office culture that serves students well and shapes, unifies, and empowers a team to provide highest levels of customer service;
- Strong project management skills and organizational ability to implement and manage projects across multiple functional areas;
- Extensive knowledge of A/R technology systems is required, while Ellucian Banner is highly desired, as is an understanding of Cash Net, Powerfaids, FlyWire and related technologies;
- Strong technological skills with the ability to assess the value of new and proposed systems for billing practices;
- Knowledge of account receivables and student service performance metrics;
- Extensive knowledge of federal regulations and requirements for compliance;
- Experience with complex, institutional strategies and expertise with state/federal funding processes;
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data/reports and a track record of implementing performance improvements is essential;
- Propensity to thrive and flourish in a rapidly changing environment, energized by the opportunity to offer a consistent and disciplined approach to new challenges;
- Excellent written and oral communications and analytical skills that can provide directive and persuasive initiatives or explanations;
- Effective ability to prioritize projects and their implementation on an on-going basis;
- Clear understanding of how to successfully multi-task and engage staff through transparent delegation of responsibilities;
- Decisive and solutions-oriented work style, punctuated with good energy and stamina;
- A calm and flexible nature with the aptness to enjoy a complex environment prone to continuous change and growth.
Founded in 1898 in Boston, Northeastern is a global, experiential, research university built on a tradition of engagement with the world, creating a distinctive approach to education and research. The university offers a comprehensive range of undergraduate and graduate programs leading to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools, and select advanced degrees at graduate campuses in Boston, Burlington, Charlotte, London,
Nahant, Seattle, San Francisco/Bay Area, Toronto and Vancouver. Total student population tops 20,000 undergraduates and more than 16,000 graduate students.
Learn more about Northeastern’s exceptional programs at http://www.northeastern.edu You can read the complete Position Announcement here.
To Apply: Napier Executive Search is assisting Northeastern University to identify their Senior Director of Financial Services, Student Accounts. For more information, or to nominate someone for this role, contact Robin Reynders ([email protected]) or Mary Napier ([email protected]). Interested candidates should submit a résumé, along with a letter of interest describing their unique qualifications and background for the position. Candidates should also provide the names and contact information of at least three professional references. For confidentiality, references will not be contacted without permission. All application materials should be submitted electronically to [email protected] by September 9, 2019, for best consideration. Credentials will be reviewed as they are received and the search will continue until the position is filled. Offer will be contingent upon completed background checks.
Northeastern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Educational Institution and Employer, Title IX University. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the law. Northeastern University is an E-Verify Employer.