Student Academic Success Center Academic Professional Lab Monitor/Part-time
Category:: Academic Support
Department:: Academic Services
Locations:: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posted:: Aug 13, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
About Dutchess Community College:
Located in the heart of New York's beautiful and historic mid-Hudson Valley, just 90 minutes north of New York City, DCC is part of the State University of New York, the largest comprehensive public higher education system in the country. A winner of the 2015 HEED Award for inclusiveness, DCC is dedicated to respecting individuality, embracing diversity and partnering with the community to achieve shared goals. The College welcomes applications from faculty and staff who share and are anxious to support the institution's values of Excellence, Access, Diversity, Collaboration and Accountability, and who are passionate about engaging with both students and the community.
Provide professional academic assistance to students in the Student Academic Success Center and to provide study strategy workshops.
- Assist students in building their academic skills for college-level work;
- Assist students in the SASC by answering their questions about academic support programs and services, helping them resolve questions, providing learning strategy assistance, providing guidance in utilizing technology in the SASC, and connecting student to other campus resources or services as needed;
- Assist student by answering content questions and demonstrating how to find information to answer their questions by utilizing various academic tools;
- Assist students in completing applications to receive tutoring;
- Use TutorTrac to support the tutoring program by matching students with tutors and/or referring to group tutoring sessions;
- Assist student in using TutorTrac and maintaining accurate student usage counts for the center and troubleshooting issues;
- Facilitate academic success workshops and enrichment activities for new and continuing students, tutors, orientations, open house events, Intro Seminar courses and other classes as needed;
- Assist in promoting Academic Services and Testing programs and services at new student and tutor orientations and open house events as needed;
- Assist students in accessing academic support software programs, (such as Comfit software for the Refresh program);
- Outreach to students using academic support software programs to encourage continued participation and completion of modules; monitor and support students as they progress through the software lessons to strengthen their academic skills;
- Maintain supplies and organization of center resources for student usage, security of SASC property and cleanliness of the area;
- Complete assigned projects that support the tutoring and academic support programs as needed;
- Enforce the policies and practices of the Office of Academic Services and Testing, especially in the Student Academic Success Center;
- Notify Student Academic Success Coordinator and Help Desk if equipment is malfunctioning;
- Attend AS&T department meetings and workshops that enhance professional development.
- Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree preferred;
- Teaching and/or tutoring experience required;
- Competent math skills and learining strategies knowledge required;
- Higher education experience preferred;
- Experience working with underprepared or at-risk student populations desired;
- Must demonstrate an ability to quickly establish rapport and communicate well with students and instructors.