Aug 8, 2019
Amherst College invites applications for the Development Officer position. The Development Officer is a full time, year round position, job group and level PT-4. Amherst College has profoundly transformed its student body in terms of socioeconomic status, ethnicity, and nationality, among other areas. Today, nearly one-quarter of Amherst’s students are Pell Grant recipients; 45 percent of our students identify as domestic students of color. Our expectation is that the successful candidate will excel at working in a community that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.
The Development Officer will manage a portfolio of Amherst alumni donors and prospective donors, including Future Track donors. The Development Officer will travel frequently to engage these key members of the Amherst community in conversations leading to increased expendable/Amherst Fund commitments and to six-figure gifts. In the case of Future Track donors, the Development Officer will lay the foundation for future generosity to Amherst. Reporting to a Senior Development Officer, the Development Officer will be an integral member of the College’s Leadership Giving team, which is comprised of the Senior Director of Leadership Giving, Development Officers, Senior Development Officers, Development Assistants, and Gift Planning, Parent Giving and Donor Relations colleagues.
This individual will play a vital role in raising leadership-level Amherst Fund gifts, and ultimately endowment-level gifts in support of Amherst’s current campaign.
The Development Officer takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College’s efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
Summary of Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Fundraising - Manage a portfolio of 100-175 Leadership Giving donors, prospective donors, and future track (unrated) donors; eventually taking on more highly-rated prospects with the ultimate closing of six- and seven-figure gifts in support of Amherst’s established priorities, strategize with the Senior Development Officer and colleagues for the design and implementation of their cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies, frequent travel to engage these key members of the Amherst community, secure leadership Amherst Fund gifts.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3-5 years of experience working in a fundraising environment, or applicable and relevant experience in a related field
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate and advance relationships strategically and proactively.
- An unassailable sense of judgment and integrity
- Personal capacity to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Able to travel 35-50% of the time to different areas of the country
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and written and verbal communication skills.
- Commitment to or experience working with a diverse community
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (email and/or telephone numbers) for three professional references. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
ABOUT AMHERST COLLEGE
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college’s community is composed of about 1,800 students from 48 states, plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college’s scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum, Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst the perfect place to work, learn and live!