Coordinator, Student Life and Academic Advising
Coordinator, Student Life and Academic Advising ‐ California Northstate University College of Health Sciences, Rancho Cordova, California, USA
Job Title: Coordinator, Student Life and Academic Advising
Job Classification: Full‐time, 12 Month, Exempt
Salary: $22 per hour
Closing Date: Position open until filled
Review of Applications: Reviewed upon receipt
Anticipated Start Date: September 1, 2019
Supervisor: Assistant Dean, Student Affairs and Admissions, College of Health Sciences
California Northstate University College of Health Sciences is a community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to the mission of transforming education in the health sciences. We are a team-oriented group interested in supporting a student centered and innovative educational environment and seek individuals interested in excelling at their own immediate responsibilities and contributing to the College and University as a whole.
California Northstate University (CNU) is a private university with the main campus located in Elk Grove, California, approximately 15 miles south of Sacramento. CNU is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). The Elk Grove facility currently houses the College of Pharmacy, College of Medicine and College of Psychology.
The California Northstate University College of Health Sciences (CNUCHS) campus is located at 2910 Prospect Park Drive, Rancho Cordova, CA 95670. We offer a traditional Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences degree in addition to accelerated undergraduate and post-baccalaureate programs. The CNUCHS curriculum is designed to provide excellent academic preparation for careers in the biomedical professions.
The Coordinator, Student Life and Academic Advising is responsible for providing CNUCHS students leadership in the areas of both Student Life and Academic Advising. Through a full range of student success academic and co-curricular experiences utilizing institutional resources aiding in student academic and personal growth, the Coordinator, Student Life and Academic Advising leads and coordinates activities for undergraduate and post-baccalaureate CHS students preparing for their next educational steps.
Student Life (60%)
- Plans and arranges social, cultural, and recreational activities of various student groups, according to university policies and regulations: Meets with student and faculty groups to plan activities
- Evaluates student extracurricular and co-curricular programs and suggests modifications
- Contacts caterers, entertainers, decorators, and others to arrange for scheduled events
- Acts as student advocate
- Promotes student participation in social, cultural, and recreational activities
- Designs and develops curriculum and implements educational programs for students on such topics as racism, prejudice, discrimination, and stereotypes; develops, manages, and coordinates various diversity and anti-discrimination programs and monitors effectiveness through student behavior
- Remains abreast of housing options in the CNU CHS service area and shares information with enrolled and potential students
- Advises student groups and clubs
- Advise Student Government Association
- Hears student conduct issues and refers matters to the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs and Admissions
- Develop Student Life webpage to be hosted on the CHS website and maintain current, relevant information for current students and visitors
- Contributes to Student Life budget planning and oversight
Academic Advising (35%)
- Advises students on academic issues related to the curriculum in their program of study
- Advise students seeking to petition to switch academic programs
- Leads workshops to support students’ academic success and persistence
- Informs students of graduate program exams (MCAT, DAT, OAT, GRE, etc.) and runs related workshops
- Develop an Academic Advising syllabus
- Maintains strong database of career related resources and provides career advising to students
- Remains abreast of academic advising technology and make suggestions to CHS leadership for improvements thereof
- Monitor and update, when necessary, Academic Advising webpage on the CHS website
- Assesses effectiveness of academic advising and regularly provides written reports to Asst. Dean of Student Affairs and Admissions students’ outcomes with services provided
- Maintain detailed confidential student records
Other Duties (5%)
- When needed, assists with new student recruitment activities
- Occasional weekend and evening work
- Remain abreast of Student Life and Academic Advising trends and best practices via professional periodicals and local conference attendance
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree
- Two years student life experience or equivalent
- One year experience in academic advising
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Knowledge of Student Life theory and practices
- Knowledge of Academic Advising theory and practices
- Student success focused
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced work environment adjust to various department needs
- Ability to effectively collaborate with various internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to develop and implement long and short range goals
- Demonstrate commitment to fostering a diverse working and learning environment
- Developed communication and interpersonal skills necessary for advising students electronically, in one-on-one and large group settings
HOW TO APPLY
Please follow the instructions below. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt and only completed applications will be reviewed.
For full consideration, candidates must provide the following items in one document:
- Cover letter of interest addressing qualifications, experience and career goals
- Current Resume
- Written statement addressing Inclusive Excellence (Diversity Initiatives) experience
- Unofficial transcripts of all college work (official copies will be requested if offered position)
- Names, email addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three (3) professional references to be contacted by the Search Committee who can speak to a broad range of candidate’s qualifications.
*Please email all documents to the HR Department with the subject:
“Coordinator, Student Life & Academic Advising”
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
California Northstate is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
*Due to the high volume of applications, once applied, please refrain from telephone calls, visits, faxes or emails directly. Should you meet the minimum qualifications and are selected for an interview, you will be contacted at that time. We appreciate your interest of employment with California Northstate University!
Share this job with your network:
Diversity Profile: University
AAUP COMPENSATION SURVEY DATAView more
Apply for Coordinator, Student Life and Academic Advising
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly