Substitute Clerical Assistant III (Short-Term/Temporary)
Job Description Summary
This is a short-term/temporary position at 75% FTE.
ABOUT THE COLLEGE
Cuesta College is located in the heart of scenic San Luis Obispo County since 1963, offering many degree programs, certificates, and community programs. We are committed to being an inclusive institution that inspires a diverse student population to achieve their educational goals. The U.S. Department of Education has designated us to be a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) and we are committed to racial and socioeconomic diversity as it is a reflection of our student population; we strive to hire candidates that share this commitment to diversity and inclusion. When you join our team at Cuesta College, you can expect to be part of a collaborative community among faculty, classified staff, administration, students, and our community partners.
Additional information about the college can be found at
The college planning documents can be found at
Our Student Equity Action Plan can be found at
We offer comprehensive benefit options. Information about benefits can be found at
Under general supervision, perform a variety of clerical work involving specific routines and broadly defined policies and procedures; and to perform other related duties as required.
The Clerical Assistant Class includes level I, II and III positions. Classification level is based on job requirements, and is assigned to positions. Levels are not intended to denote the skill level of incumbents and there is no natural progression from Level I to Level III based on incumbent length of service.
Clerical Assistant III is the advanced level in this classification and performs specialized clerical duties or provides sole clerical support for an assigned function. Incumbents in this classification are required to exercise independent judgment and may be assigned to provide work direction to the lower classifications.
Incumbents in this position support student learning outcomes and institutional effectiveness by serving as a first contact and support for students, staff, and faculty.
- Meet and work with the public, students, and college staff in a variety of situations which require tact, discretion, and courtesy;
- Give information and interpretation of policies and procedures, which require knowledge of an assigned aspect of the departmental activities;
- Compile information from various sources and type on a variety of forms;
- Review documents for accuracy, completeness, and conformance to established procedures;
- Open and classify incoming mail and other information;
- Perform a wide variety of clerical and typing work;
- Operate standard office equipment, including word processor, personal computer, microprocessors, calculators, and microfilm if required;
- Type and operate word processing keyboard to generate letters, memorandum, reports, requisitions, and other materials;
- Establish and maintain hard copy and electronic data processing records;
- Receive, account for, and deposit cash from sales and registration;
- Interpret and apply college policies, rules and regulations when dealing with faculty and students;
- Maintain confidentiality of personal matters;
- Maintain clerical records and to compile basic reports;
- Monitor security system for files and maintain a card identification system if required;
- Learn and interpret rules, regulations, and instructions;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent
- Associate Degree preferred for Levels II and III
- Two additional years of experience, including keyboarding, are required for entry into Clerical Assistant III.
- Record keeping;
- Modern office practices, procedures and equipment;
- Correct English, spelling, punctuation, and grammar;
- Methods of writing correspondence and reports;
- College organization, policies, and rules;
- Current technologies, personal computer, and associated office software such as work processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and/or database software;
- Principles of report writing;
- Computer programs necessary for record keeping and databases.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the performance of duties;
- Demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of staff, external customers and students, and of staff, external customers and students with physical and learning disabilities;
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing;
- Maintain a variety of files.
- Read and comprehend printed matter and text and data on computer monitors;
- Communicate intelligibly and effectively via speech, telephone, written correspondence, and/or email;
- Sit or stand for extended periods of time;
- Lift and/or carry 25 pounds;
- Exert manual dexterity sufficient for keyboard and other office equipment operation.
Minimum 40, 45, and 50 wpm Keyboarding/Typing certificate at Levels, I, II, and III respectively.Additional Information
This is a short-term/temporary position at 75% FTE.
Please upload a resume to be considered for this position.
Cuesta College will not sponsor any visa applications.
San Luis Obispo County Community College District ("Cuesta College") is an equal opportunity employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), age, disability (physical and mental), genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal and state law in admission and access to, or treatment in employment, educational programs or activities at any of its campuses. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Cuesta College also prohibits harassment on any of these bases, including sexual harassment, as well as sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking.
Selected applicants will be contacted for an interview.