Food Service Supervisor
Posting DetailsJob Posting Information Vacancy TypeSHRAIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoTime Limited?NoTime-Limited Appointment LengthTitleFood Services SupervisorBand LevelJourneyWorking TitleFood Service SupervisorSalary Range$31,200 - $60,557 Anticipated Hiring Range$36,455 - $40,600Salary Grade Equivalency62Position Number00101769Work Schedule40 hours per week. Must be able to work a flexible schedule determined by business needs. May be required to work special events including nights and weekends. Overtime as needed to meet business needs.Does the regular and recurring schedule of this position result in the employee working more than ½ of their hours between 4 pm and 8 am? (Meal periods do not count).YesFull Time Equivalent (FTE)1Department471501 - Dining and Catering OperationsDepartmentDining and Catering OperationsJob City & StateRaleigh, NCPrimary Function of Organizational Unit
Campus Enterprises is NC State’s Division for Retail and Hospitality Services — NC State Dining, NC State Stores, Trademark Licensing, Lonnie Poole Golf Course, NC State Student Centers (Witherspoon and Talley), Rave! Event Services and the Wolfpack One Card Services. Each unit shares a common goal: deliver quality and efficient services with dedicated financial support for student activity and scholarships.
NC State Dining is a department within the Campus Enterprises Division. NC State Dining provides campus wide food service to students, staff, and faculty and the corporate partners on Centennial Campus. NC State Dining operates 14 dining areas, 7 convenience stores, campus concessions, a nutritional counseling service and catering department.Essential Job Duties
The primary purpose of this position will be the supervision of the front of the house in a NC State Dining food service unit. This position will provide supervision during service hours to ensure NC State Dining standards of excellent customer service and food quality are being met, while maintaining all safety and sanitation policies and procedures during the shift. This position is responsible for the coordination, training, and discipline of staff, students, and temporary labor.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee front of house operations and supervise a staff of employees to ensure guest service and food quality is at an exceptional level.
- Coordinate the flow of food from final production to line service as planned by C-Bord production system.
- Responsible for reviewing daily menu and production sheets and final amounts prepared for accuracy.
- Communicate directly with back of house personnel about food status/ levels during the mealtime to ensure no lag time between replacements of food on the serving line.
- Schedule staff and makes staff assignments daily.
- Perform food production administrative work including purchasing and inventory controls.
- Ensure that all State and Departmental Health Standards are being followed. Reports concerns directly to the assistant unit director.
- Order food and non-food products using the C-Bord food ordering system
- Monitor all areas of the dining hall to ensure customer needs are being met and that employees are responsive to customer’s request and expectations.
- Monitor work of staff and assess when improvements/training is needed.
- Other duties as assigned to ensure NC State Dining business needs are met. Position may be asked to assist in other locations as necessary.
High School diploma or equivalency and one year of experience in food preparation or service activities in a commercial kitchen; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.Departmental Required Skills
- Ability to lead and motivate a team of employees.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Basic skills and familiarity with MS Windows and the ability to learn new software.
- Ability to maintain Grade A sanitation rating of 95% or better
- Must be able to lift 30 pounds frequently and 60 pounds occasionally, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Must be able to bend, twist, pull and push objects with or without reasonable accommodations
- Must be able to work in a kitchen under extremely hot and cold conditions.
- Three years of high volume food service supervisor experience.
- Basic cash handling skills.
- ServSafe Certiification or the ability to obtain
within 90 days of employment.
- Certifications must be maintained as a
condition of employment.
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have a valid state drivers license?
- * Please select the response below that best describes your experience/education for the Food Services Supervisor position.
- High school diploma/GED and at least one year of experience in food preparation or service activities in a commercial kitchen
- Associate's, Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctorate in any field and one year of experience in food preparation or service activities in a commercial kitchen
- Combination of post high school education and one year of experience in food preparation or service activities in a commercial kitchen
- Did not complete high school but have a combination of HS education and one year of experience in food preparation or service activities in a commercial kitchen (ex. 3 years of HS and 2 years exp.)
- None of the above
- * Do you have a ServSafe certificate or a similar certification or the ability to obtain one within 90 days of start date?
- * Work schedules vary based on business needs are you available to work days, nights and weekends (including some holidays)?
- * Are you able to lift up to 30 pounds frequently and up to 60 pounds occasionally with or without reasonable accommodations?
- Cover Letter