Senior Instructional Technology Support Specialist-School of Information Sciences (117074)
Senior Instructional Technology Support Specialist
School of Information Sciences
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The School of Information Sciences (iSchool) seeks applicants for the position of Senior Instructional Technology Support Specialist. This position will assist faculty and staff with online resources for course support. Primarily, the successful candidate will work with instructors to enhance the instructional experience. Also, the candidate will provide support for instructors and students and supervise teaching assistants who provide similar support. A component of this position is also to provide General IT support as part of the iSchool Help Desk.
University of Illinois is a world leader in research, teaching, and public engagement. We serve the state, the nation, and the world by creating knowledge, preparing students for lives of impact, and addressing critical societal needs through the transfer and application of knowledge. University of Illinois is the place where we embrace difference. We embrace it because we value it. We are especially interested in candidates who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the University of Illinois community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with management of the Information Resources desk
- Manage Instructional Support Specialists
- Assist instructors during online course delivery
- Assist instructors using online tools and techniques for in-person classes
- Prepare and customize LMS (currently Moodle) spaces for instructors
- Work with various online meeting tools such as Blackboard Collaborate and Zoom
- Assist instructors with migrating course materials for an online format
- Assist instructors with development of multi-mode classes (i.e. some students online, some physically present)
- Keep abreast of current and future technologies used for course delivery
- Train instructors in the tools used for online course paradigms
- Prepare training materials for instructors and students
- Prepare and deliver workshops in online technologies
- Provide 2nd level support for technical problems coming from the iSchool Help Desk
- Assist with the management of the iSchool Help Desk GAs and TAs, including hiring and training
- Provide backup support for the Information Resources Manager, including functions like backup Unit Security Contact, Telecom Coordinator, and mailing list management
- 2nd level audio visual support
Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Information Science, Computer Science, or related field.
- Two years of experience using a learning management system, such as Moodle or Blackboard Learn. Experience with web conferencing systems, such as Blackboard Collaborate or Zoom. Supervisory experience. Experience in customer service.
- Master’s degree in Information Science, Computer Science, Education, or related field.
- Experience in IT support - Windows and Mac operating systems and Printers. Experience with managing graduate students. Experience training - Creating training materials and Training individuals or groups. Experience supporting users at a distance. Experience evaluating and implementing emerging technologies. Teaching or technology training experience.
Successful candidates will also have:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION:
This is a full-time Civil Service Information Technology Technical Associate position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the close date. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Applications must be received by October 8, 2019. Apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:
Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.
Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.
Step 3) Upload your cover letter, resume (months and years of employment must be included), and academic credentials (unofficial transcripts or diploma may be acceptable) and names/contact information for three references.
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, contact Candy Edwards @ [email protected] For questions about the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.College Name or Administrative Unit:Information Sciences Category:8-Technical Title:Senior Instructional Technology Support Specialist-School of Information Sciences (117074) Open Date:09/17/2019 Close Date:10/08/2019 Organization Name:Information Sciences