Communications Specialist - Georgetown University Police
Communications Specialist - Georgetown University Police
Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.
The Georgetown University Police Communications Center is staffed by Police Communications Officers (PCO) and Police Communications Specialists (PCS) (both Communications Dispatchers) who are responsible for answering emergency and non-emergency calls for service, dispatching these calls, initiating EMS responses, monitoring alarm systems, and working the customer service desk.
The Communications Specialist answers calls from the public regarding all types of emergencies, ranging from crimes being committed to various kinds of university community needs. S/he remains calm and collected while displaying good communications skills, prioritizing calls, depending on the level of emergency. The incumbent works shifts including days, nights, weekends and holidays, requiring significant knowledge, skill, and abilities in responding to citizens needs. Reporting to the Police Communications Supervisor, the Communications Specialist has additional duties that include but are not limited to:
- Answers emergency and non-emergency phone lines, entering caller information into the computer aided dispatch system (CAD).
- Interacts with police officers over the two-way radio system.
- Enters police officer generated information in the CAD.
- Monitors and reacts to security systems to include a Video Management System (VMS) and Alarm Management System.
- Enters VMS observations into the VMS logging system.
- Assists community member and Police Officers at the Police Service Desk.
- Interacts with related computer based information systems to include, but not limited to, LiveSafe, GoCard System,and HoyAlert.
- Other duties as need for the Georgetown University Police Department.
- High School Diploma or equivalent; College Degree preferred
- At least 3 years of general work experience; to 3 years of related experience as a dispatcher is preferred (An equivalent combination of training, education and/or experience may be considered in lieu of above requirements)
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and remain calm while performing complex operations under stress
- Ability to obtain WALES clearance with the completion of a background check
- Ability to communicate effectively via telephone and radio, handle stress under emergency situations, and work with minimal supervision
- Ability to multitask and prioritize in a very busy police communications center
- Experience operating computers using MS Windows with the ability to type at least 35 words per minute
Technical Qualifications of Specialized Certification
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must qualify for a Security Officer License in the District of Columbia
- No felony convictions or convictions of misdemeanors involving crimes of moral turpitude or gross misconduct
- Must not currently be wanted for any crime
- Must not have been found guilty by reason of mental illness for any crime
- Must be a United States citizen or have been a lawful resident of the U.S. for the past 10 consecutive years
- Must be able to pass an extensive background investigation
- Must become certified and maintain a NCIC/WALES certification
- National Crime Information Center/Washington Area Law Enforcement System (NCIC/WALES) Operator Requirements as set out by the FBI Criminal Justice Information System
- Previous experience working in a communications center is highly desired
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or [email protected].
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Georgetown University offers a wide variety of comprehensive and competitive benefits. Benefits packages include comprehensive health, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance coverage, retirement savings programs, tuition assistance, voluntary insurance options (including group legal, accident, and critical illness), and much more. Whatever your need, the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits will be standing by to support you. You can learn more about the benefits offered to eligible faculty and staff at https://benefits.georgetown.edu or view the online interactive benefits guide for more information.
To apply, visit https://georgetown.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Georgetown_Admin_Careers/job/Main-Campus/Communications-Specialist---Georgetown-University-Police_JR07342
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency