Department, Web, and Image Coordinator
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job TitleDepartment, Web, and Image CoordinatorDepartmentArt HistoryFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberS20072Open Date08/12/2019Close Date08/26/2019Salary Information
$20.50 to $21.63/hourWork Schedule
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. May require occasional evening or weekend hours to work at special events with notice in advance.Benefits EligibleYesEligible for OvertimeYesPosition Summary
The department, web, and image coordinator provides general administrative support and coordination for the faculty and creative team within art history, a vibrant department of eleven full-time faculty members who research and teach the art, architecture, and material culture of Asia, Europe, and the Americas from antiquity to the present, looking at everything from ancient temples to contemporary films. Primary responsibilities include: front office management, communications and outreach, event and travel program planning and execution, financial transactions, and information management. This position also provides digital image management and processing as well as website management. S/he is the first point of contact, representing the department to internal and external contacts.Education RequiredAssociate's DegreeMajor/DisciplineSubstitution for Education Requirement
May substitute additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the education requirement.Education Preferred
BA, MA, or MFA in liberal arts, computer graphics, or media/public relations.Experience Required3 yearsType of Experience
Office experience with one year of experience in two or more of the following areas:
- professional office administration/support
- events management
- image management
- web design and maintenance
May substitute additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement.Experience Preferred
- Full-time, professional experience in office administration in a university setting
- Professional experience creating and/or maintaining websites
- Training or experience managing and manipulating images using the software described in the skills section
- Rice University experience in an academic or business unit
- Intermediate knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, email, and database software programs to complete work assignments
- Intermediate data reporting skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Basic problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Ability to work under moderate supervision and complete tasks timely
- Customer service oriented
- Ability to manage websites using content management programs such as Drupal, CMS 400, Wordpress, Blogs, etc.
- Proficiency in computer programs such as Adobe Creative Cloud Suite, including Acrobat DC, Photoshop, InDesign, and/or Illustrator
- Organizational skills with the proven ability to manage multiple and sometimes competing deadlines
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Welcoming, pleasant and professional voice, demeanor and presentation in person, in written communications and on the telephone
- Familiarity with art history program subject matter and with Rice University policy and procedures
- Working knowledge of programs such as Banner (Edgar, Esther etc.), Concur, RICEWorks, PeopleSoft
- Working knowledge of Blackboard or Canvas
- Ability to manage social media accounts
Internal: Art History faculty, students and staff, School of Humanities faculty and staff, various University offices such as the Registrar, OISS, etc.
External: Visiting faculty, MFAH curators, university presses, potential students and their parents, external reviewers, vendors, etc.
Requires working at a computer for extended periods of time. Ability to carry and set up/take down up to 20 pounds of materials used for events such as receptions. Primarily sedentary.Working Conditions
Office environment, infrequent evening or weekend work required with adequate notice beforehand.Security SensitiveYes Special Instructions to Applicants
In your cover letter, please clearly state why you are interested in this particular position and how your specific skills and experience would best contribute to the position. Please list your years of experience using Microsoft Excel and Adobe Creative Suite software and briefly explain the context of your experience.
To be considered, applicants are required to submit a writing sample as outlined below: Write a letter to Dr. Jane Smith inviting her to speak at a symposium (you choose the topic) on November 15th, 2019. The department will cover or reimburse her travel and lodging and pay a $1,000 honorarium.
(Optional) Provide links to web design, professional social media, and/or photo editing projects you have created or maintained. Briefly list your role in these projects.Quick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/20826 Job Duties Job Duty NameEssential FunctionsDescription of Job Duty
Under the direction of the Department Administrator:
- Provides support to faculty, administrators, students, and staff by implementing and administering day-to-day functions of the department
- Coordinates three or more major departmental functions, including: program administration, curriculum support, budget/finance, human resources, communications / outreach, compliance, research administration
- Interprets, implements and ensures compliance with policies and procedures, and recommends alternative solutions
- Reviews and monitors trends to provide recommendations to streamline functions in the department
- Monitors and tracks budgets and expenditures, reallocates funds, processes financial transactions
- May represent the department within the school
- Creates communications and outreach plans that may include relationship development, communications, and/or compliance
- May coordinate the work of student workers
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Under the direction of the Department Administrator and Department Image Curator:
- Processes images to meet the research and teaching needs of the departmental faculty using programs including Adobe Creative Cloud applications
- Designs and processes course and outreach materials both in digital and hard copy formats
- Monitors and maintains departmental websites
- Maintains social media accounts
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample
- Other Document
- Media Sample
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have an associate's degree or higher level of education, or additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the education requirement?
- * Do you have three years of office experience with one year of experience in two or more of the following areas: professional office administration/support, events management, image management, or web design and maintenance? Please note that you may substitute additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement.
- * Please note that this posting requires a cover letter, resume, and writing sample attachments. The type of the required documents expected is outlined in the special instructions to the applicants section of this posting.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please provide the salary or range that you would require or consider for this position.
(Open Ended Question)