Dean of the Library
Fairfield University www.fairfield.edu is a Jesuit Catholic Connecticut-based private, Master’s comprehensive University. It is a member of the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities. In 2019, the University was ranked #1 in the Northern Region by U.S. News & World Report, Best Colleges. The University serves more than 5,000 students enrolled in five distinct schools with approximately 800 faculty and staff. Built upon the 450-year-old Jesuit traditions of scholarship and service, the University and is distinguished by a rigorous curriculum, close interaction among faculty and students, and a beautiful, 210-acre campus with views of the Long Island Sound. As an integral part of our mission, Fairfield Faculty and students are encouraged to participate in the larger community through service and academic activities.
The University seeks highly qualified candidates for the role of Dean of the Library.
In this role, the Dean must develop innovative strategies to meet the demands and challenges of a University Library for the 21st century. The Dean must be a leader in information literacy and technology and demonstrate a deep understanding of the way technology is transforming academic library as well as the role of the University Library as the apex for research and learning at an evolving Master’s comprehensive university. A familiarity and experience with facilities planning and academic commons oversight are important, as the University is establishing a new commons in the library. We are seeking a change leader, committed to shared governance, with an entrepreneurial spirit aligned with library values.
The successful Dean will foster a culture of innovation with a focus on student learning and faculty research. Demonstrated experience in management, budgeting and strategic planning are essential. The new Dean must be able to establish and articulate a vision for a library that contributes to University President Mark Nemec’s ambition for Fairfield to be the modern Jesuit Catholic University, and work collaboratively with a variety of constituents across campus to enact that vision.
As a prospective candidate, you are expected to carefully read this job description and eliminate yourself from the candidate pool if the duties and responsibilities are not a good match for you.
Reporting to the Provost, the Dean of the Library is responsible for planning, directing, and administering the activities of the University Library involving the development and implementation of services and materials, as well as coordinating the Academic Commons partnership at Fairfield University. The position is designed to support the teaching, learning and research activities of students, faculty and other constituents. The Dean of the Library will serve as a member of the Senior and Academic Leadership teams; provide leadership and direction for all library operations, including the development and enhancement of all collections and services, establishment of library policies and procedures, and administration of the library budget; and coordinate the functioning of a newly established Academic Commons within the space that is now the library building.
KEY SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
• Possess at least 5 to 10 years of progressive leadership experience in library operations and administration including teaching, learning and research utilizing digital and print media, and 3+ years of supervisory/management experience in a public or private institutional setting.
• Demonstrated record of effective strategic planning
• Significant professional experience in higher education, preferably at a senior level.
• Possess experience within an Academic Commons environment, including a history of success with planning, guiding, and transitioning to an Academic Commons within a library setting.
• Substantial experience managing finances and budgets.
• An exemplary record of leading, fostering, and implementing technological innovation to meet the informational needs of a University community.
• Demonstrated success with staff development and career management of library staff.
• Excellent communication and listening skills.
• Direct or indirect fundraising experience is desired.
• Engagement with national and regional library associations.
• Appreciation for traditional and innovative library services.
• Ability to deal with ambiguity and adapt to a changing environment.
• Superior interpersonal skills with the ability to excel in a diverse environment with tact, diplomacy and flexibility.
• Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart confidential information.
• Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
Master of Library Science MLS (from ALA Accredited program)
EdD or PhD strongly preferred
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT:
KMR Executive Search
Apply for Dean of the Library
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly