Dominican educates and prepares students to be ethical leaders and socially responsible global citizens who incorporate the Dominican values of study, reflection, community and service into their lives. The University is committed to diversity, sustainability and the integration of the liberal arts, the sciences and professional programs. Dominican University of California is an independent university offering the best of Liberal Arts combined with a rigorous professional education. Founded in 1890, Dominican enjoys an over century-long reputation for excellence in scholarship, research and community outreach. The University offers more than 60 academic programs that reflect the diversity and creativity of both the faculty and the students. With about 1,900 students and a student to faculty ratio of 10:1, Dominican is able to successfully blend the personal attention associated with smaller schools with the academic resources of a larger university.
Resume/CV and cover letter are required and must be attached in attachment section of the application process (Step 2). Refer to the posting instructions for any additional materials that may be required.
Refer to the Dominican Employment Page here for adjunct opportunities and application instructions.
Title: Lab Manager
Department: Science and Math - NORS-DUC Program
Division: School of Health and Natural Sciences
Reports To: NORS-DUC Program Manager/PI and Sr. researcher
Supervises: Undergraduate DUC students working in NORS lab
Status: Full-time, exempt
Dominican University of California is seeking an individual for a Lab Manager position. The Lab Manager position will participate in directing the NORS-DUC strategic plan by leading the day-to-day operation of the labs, ensuring timely completion of project deliverables, and will oversee and ensure the operational efficiency and safety training and compliance of the staff, students, collaborators, and visiting scientists working in these outdoor facilities and labs. Responsibilities include research planning, lab systems oversight, and administrative support to the PI and the Sr. researcher. The ideal candidate is a scientist who wants to continue working at the bench doing both discovery and applied solutions-directed research as well as work in an outdoor contained research facility on quarantined plant pathogens.
NORS-DUC is a one-of-a-kind research facility that operates under strict quarantine measures on regulated plant pathogens of importance to the nursery, landscape, native plant and restoration industries and related stakeholders. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in plant pathology or environmental microbiology, molecular diagnostics and immunological methods.
- Conduct and manage experiments on multiple projects independently in the lab, report project progress to supervisor on a regular basis, gather and analyze data, generate reports and communicate the information to the team
- Collaborate with the team in project planning, monitoring and reviewing, and responding to RFPs and intellectual contributions towards driving initiatives to identify new and/or additional research collaboration opportunities
- Manage inventory, chemical supplies, equipment service, contracts, warranties and coordinate repair, maintenance, calibration and monitoring of laboratory equipment and act as a point of contact for system alerts
- Maintain internal culture collection and manage the routine verification of isolate viability and fidelity. Manage external biomaterials requests and transfer agreements.
- Manage procurement operations, such as placing Purchase Orders with vendors, maintaining price list, negotiation with the vendors, tracking and managing laboratory material purchases
- Manage costs within assigned project budget and reconcile on a monthly basis
- Organize and audit lab files, records, and ensure compliance with IT security
- Provide experimental set up support for new research projects and establish strong relationships with the current and prospective collaborators by interacting and effectively communicating in a professional manner
- Provide a consistent and thorough orientation protocol which ensures that all staff and visiting scientists have an understanding of and operate in compliance with all institutional safety requirements, standard operating procedures, contained facility and biomaterials permit regulations and best management practices/Good Lab Practices
- Prepare for inspections, ensure that team members receive proper safety training and maintain up-to-date training records
- Train personnel and technical staff, supervise Dominican undergraduate research trainees
- Participate and present in seminars, conferences, outreach events, nursery tours, trainings and trade shows as needed
- Participate and provide support in organizing technical and outreach events at the facility
- Perform other duties as directed, including assisting in project needs at the NORS-DUC nursery
- MSc degree in plant pathology, plant and environmental microbiology, with experience in molecular biology, biochemistry or related area
- 3 years of experience working in a research or diagnostic lab; extensive experience in plant pathology methodology, preferably in the field of Phytophthora research
- In-depth experience in conventional PCR, qPCR and semi-quantitative PCR, with hands-on experience in genomic sequence analysis, molecular diagnostics or immunological methods
- Strong knowledge and computational skills for data analysis and presentations including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, graphics editors and statistical packages
- Demonstrated supervisory and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills as demonstrated by symposia stakeholder presentations and research publications in peer reviewed journals
- Great organizational and management skills in maintaining a well-run laboratory and supervision of undergraduate and graduate students
- Works well in a team environment including collaborations with external researchers
- 3+ years of lab experience working with quarantined plant pathogens
- experience with Confocal microscopy
- experience with applied plant biology or horticulture
Additional Position Information
- Priority will be given to applications submitted by August 16th, 2019; however additional applications may be considered until the position is filled
- Must be willing to consent to a background check
Dominican University of California is an independent, international, learner-centered university, offering both undergraduate and graduate programs. Dominican has a 1:10 teacher-to-student ratio, an average class size of 16, with a small-town feeling in a park-like campus. We blend interdisciplinary core courses, real-world studies, and small classes with close and supportive academic advising and mentoring.
Dominican University of California is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to excellence through diversity, and takes pride in its multicultural environment. We are committed in thought, word, and deed to recruiting and retaining a workforce that values the diversity of its student body. The University actively promotes an institutional culture that practices equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of all under-represented groups in higher education.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency