The City Colleges of Chicago has opened the search for the president of Harold Washington College. Located in the city’s downtown “Loop” area, Harold Washington is one of seven colleges comprising the City Colleges. The president of Harold Washington College reports to the Chancellor.
In keeping with its mission, Harold Washington College strives to empower all members of the college community through accessible and affordable opportunities for academic advancement, career development, and personal enrichment. A talented faculty and staff work diligently to respond to the in- and out-of-classroom needs of approximately 12,700 students annually. The foundational core values of the college embody and honor the vision of Harold Washington, former mayor of Chicago. The college is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
The Chancellor and the college’s community seek a seasoned leader who will navigate the important internal and external relationships essential to the future of Harold Washington College. This individual must be the chief advocate and a bold voice on behalf of the college. The applicant must present stable and innovative leadership while exhibiting integrity and inspiring trust. The president will have a transparent open-door, open-mind management style, one that will foster an increased sense of mission, camaraderie, and service. Additional attributes follow:
- Commitment to the development of the whole student, including learning, engagement, health, and well-being;
- Ability to create an inclusive environment and ensure a diverse and representative population of faculty, staff, and students through recruitment, enrollment, and retention;
- Desire to be the bold voice and champion of the college with the business community, foundations, K-12, and the city's residents;
- Significant senior-level administrative and management experience with teamwork, shared leadership, and shared governance in mind;
- Firsthand knowledge of successful financial management, resource generation, and donor support opportunities;
- Deep knowledge of sound strategic planning and its alignment with budget development;
- Knowledge of the technology and pedagogical framework for online, face-to-face, and blended learning opportunities;
- Creative thinker for college programs with appreciation for the balance of liberal arts education, career planning, and workforce interests;
- Ability to work effectively with plans and policies of the Board of Trustees, the Chancellor, and District office staff;
- Familiarity and respect for a unionized environment; and
- Advanced degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
NOMINATIONS AND APPLICATIONS
Senior level administrative and/or teaching experience at an urban community college is preferred. To assure best consideration, nominations and applications should be received by September 20, 2019. The application must include a letter of interest (not more than three pages); a current résumé (or curriculum vitae); and the names of five professional references with each person's position, office or home address, e-mail address, and telephone numbers. All applications will remain confidential pending the selection of finalists. The new president may assume office on or about December 1, 2019.
The search is being directed by Rohit Paul, Deputy Chief Talent Officer for City Colleges of Chicago. Nominations and applications should be sent electronically (MS Word or PDF format) to [email protected]. Inquiries about this opportunity may be directed to the same email address. Additional information about the City Colleges of Chicago and Harold Washington College may be found at www.ccc.edu.
The City Colleges of Chicago does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnicity, sex, age, religion, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, pregnancy, order of protection status, disability, genetic information, military status, or status as a member of any other protected class under federal, state, or city law.