Director of Operations, Planning and Special Assistant to the President
Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative and nontraditional teaching and learning.
The college continues its 48-year commitment experimenting with new, flexible, and individualized modes of learning through such practices as mentoring students throughout their academic studies, creating individualized degree plans, valuing learning gained from life and work experience, building professional and social student support communities and creating flexible modes of delivery to meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college now boast over 84,000 proud and successful alumni and partners with nearly 17,000 students a year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
Empire State College is a part of the SUNY System and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, ESC serves mostly working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at 35 locations across the state of New York and abroad.
The Director of Operations, Planning and Special Assistant to the President (DOPSA) oversees operational policies, procedures, public safety and special projects. The DOPSA supports the vision and mission of Public Safety and Emergency Management by developing plans and decisions that reflect the unique environment of a higher education campus and responds to the diverse needs of students, faculty, staff and visitors. This position operates in a fast-paced and demanding environment with competing priorities. The successful candidate must be flexible in work schedule, work well under pressure, and be able to make in-the-moment decisions when necessary, and work collaboratively across departments and campuses. The position involves extensive travel to campus locations and events.
Job Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Researches and develops operational policies, presidential briefings and procedures for the College. Monitors the day to day running of the College to ensure operational efficiency and effectiveness
- Oversight of public safety department and operations with 24/7 accountability. Including designing, developing and advising the senior administration on emergency management plans including but not limited to hazard mitigation, emergency public information and business continuity
- Responsible for the preparation and oversight of the Public Safety budget and finances
- Researches, assesses, and develops a multi-year training and exercise plan. This includes distributing relevant public information and education materials on emergency preparedness, and safety and security to enhance awareness of hazards that may have an adverse effect on life, property and the environment for staff, students and visitors
- Involved in decision making regarding campus locations and potential space and services. Additionally, responsible for establishing relationships with regional and local municipal leaders and stakeholders
- Provides final review and approval of college events on behalf of the President. Ensures that the events are mission driven and advance the goals of the college's strategic plan
- Strategizes and collaborates closely with communications and governmental affairs involving Presidential priorities including preparing briefs for the President and Chief of Staff
- Collaborates with the Director of Risk Management on policy oversight and compliance matters. Specific attention given to policy development, approval and implementation
- Serves in the capacity of Chief of Staff in his/her absence and for operational matters
- Bachelor's Degree
- Three to five years of applicable and progressive administrative experience including safety, logistics, and operations
- Strong managerial and leadership skills
- Experience handling sensitive and confidential matters and responds as required
- Must have a valid NYS driver's license and is able to drive to campus events and locations
- Demonstrated experience in developing and maintaining plans and procedures and events
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Comfortable with public speaking and presenting to various audiences
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups/populations
- This position is located in Saratoga Springs, NY
- VISA sponsorship is not available for this position
Rank/Salary: Commensurate with experience
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security
Applications Due: Open until filled, application review will begin immediately.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit the following documents, which are required for consideration:
- Cover letter
- Name and contact information of three references