Deputy Chief of Staff
Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative and nontraditional teaching and learning.
The college continues its 48-year commitment experimenting with new, flexible, and individualized modes of learning through such practices as mentoring students throughout their academic studies, creating individualized degree plans, valuing learning gained from life and work experience, building professional and social student support communities and creating flexible modes of delivery to meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college now boast over 84,000 proud and successful alumni and partners with nearly 17,000 students a year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
Empire State College is a part of the SUNY System and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, ESC serves mostly working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at 35 locations across the state of New York and abroad.
The Deputy Chief of Staff works under limited direction of the Chief of Staff and employs considerable independent judgment and discretion. The position provides direct support and counsel to Senior Administration regarding various governmental affairs and business/entrepreneurial initiatives and associated issues. The DCoS is responsible for advancing the work of the Office of the President and critical to ensure the operational efficiency and effectiveness of the Office.
Typical government and business relations responsibilities include establish and sustain relations with state and federal legislative staff, including assistance in handling constituent-related inquiries from state and federal representatives and SUNY government relations officials; assist with SUNY government relations directives; bring to the attention of the President and Chief of Staff opportunities for positive interaction with governmental officials at all levels (local, county, state, federal); assist the President and Chief of Staff in preparation for meetings with governmental leaders and elected officials; travel with the President and/or Chief of Staff to meetings with elected officials; coordinate campus visits by elected officials
The position requires strong alignment with SUNY Empire State College's mission, values, and strategic vision, as well as demonstrated success, sound judgment and flexibility working in a complex, fast-paced environment.
Specific responsibilities of the position include:
- Alerts the President and Chief of Staff to marketing, philanthropic, alumni relations, and community-engagement opportunities identified in the course of ongoing work
- Represents the College and serves as a primary liaison to selected external groups, governmental agencies and the legislator
- Attends and/or accompanies the President and Chief of Staff at regional events using these opportunities to market the college and build new relationships that will advance the goals of the College
- Manages specific projects for the President or Chief of Staff
- Communicates and integrates among all levels of the University and community
- Participates in institutional planning, governmental affairs, policy development, and problem resolution
- Builds and maintains successful working relationships and coordination with a wide range of offices, staff, and stakeholders, internal and external to the College
- Gathers, investigates, researches, analyzes, and/or studies information affecting college-wide, intradepartmental, or interdepartmental operations
- Ensures that matters requiring the attention of the President and CoS are thoroughly developed, researched and evaluated; responds to routine inquiries as delegated by the CoS
- Manages high-priority projects in the Office of the President, frequently involving senior officials of the college
- Researches, writes, edits and/or coordinates preparation of special reports, briefings and presentations
- Directs and participates in strategic scheduling of events, meetings and other requests to balance and address key objectives
- Helps to lead and sustain a culture of service, professionalism and continuous improvement in the Office of the President
- Serves as the Chief of Staff in his/her absence.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree
- At least 5 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified
- Experience in state legislative affairs
- Experience in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to travel weekly throughout New York State
- Experience in and familiarity with scheduling operations and event logistics
- Planning and goal development including monitoring and reporting of goals and objectives
- Experience with conceptualizing and organizing events preferred
- This position is located in Saratoga Springs, NY
- VISA sponsorship is not available for this position
Rank/Salary: Commensurate with experience
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security
Applications Due: Open until filled, application review will begin immediately.